7 1/2 month hen won't lay! why?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by adcockfarm, Dec 1, 2014.

1. adcockfarm

adcockfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2014
    Southern California
    We have 6 hens, one of them is a Welsummer.[​IMG] she is 7 1/2 months old and still won't lay.[​IMG] the other 5 all lay except her. she is low on the pecking order and our barred-rock always pecks her. we let them out to free range often and they seem to be happy + healthy.[​IMG] is she just late? or is she stressed out by getting pecked? [​IMG]she also sometimes tries to peck people, but I don't think that would change anything.

2. adcockfarm

Aug 18, 2014
    Southern California
    We found an egg in the dirt of the coop, it is different from the other eggs, but it's not the typical dark-colored speckled welsummer egg. I read + saw they are not as dark when they start though.

3. DianaMallory

DianaMallory Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Lancaster Ohio
    Are you sure she isn't laying her eggs while she is out free ranging? Is she molting?

4. adcockfarm

Aug 18, 2014
    Southern California
    Nothing in yard. Not molting too young. All the others were purchased with in weeks of each other and they r all laying beautifully almost daily. She hadn't laid one yet. And the others are always laying in the nesting box except for maybe two random occurrences. Us there a chance a hen just will never lay??

5. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Not all Welsummers will lay really dark or speckled eggs, depends on the breeding. Also most eggs are darker when the hens start to lay & get lighter through the season.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by