7 1/2 month old geese - when will she lay?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Goat_Walker, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Ok, so i have two ganders and one goose. A white chinese pair and one brown china. Mom wont let me get Bernard ( BC ) a mate so poor Lucy has to deal with both boys. Although Bernard loves me, lol.

So- they were all born late may, early june. They free range in my yard and the neighbors yard ( they have a pond). When will Lucy start laying? what does laying behavior look like/ sound like? What should i be looking for???

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    poor Lucy [​IMG]

3. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    My goose, an Embden type, just laid eggs, 7 months old.

It has been collecting twigs for a nest for the last 4 to 6 weeks, I think. Just taking a twig and carefully putting it somewhere else. It did so in several different places in the yard, and nothing really came out of it. But the eggs were laid in a semicircle of twigs, so it's getting better at the nest-building.

It also tried to build a nest on my parents' living room rug. It plucked a tiny amount of fluff from the rug, then sat down and kind of scraped with its feet as if to make a hollow. All the while making an excited sound that sounded like "kamCHAT" (we joked that it was trying to say kamchatka, as we'd been discussing kamchatka crabs earlier in the day).

4. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    lol, i wish i could fence in our acreage so i could keep an eye out for any nest making attempts.

and yes, poor lucy. Hopkins ( white chinese gander) is her mate as bernard isnt in their "click". but they all go everywhere together and do everything together

5. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    She can lay anytime GW. Especially down where you are. My Sebbies are already laying so watch for breeding behavior.

Laurie

6. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I have white chinese and they started laying last year at 4 and 5 months, i had one start laying again today so it shouldn't be long for yours, just watch out for the goose making her nest, mine made a hole in our old barn and covered up the egg so nothing could see it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by