7 1/2 months and still no eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MrOrpington16, Nov 2, 2013.

1. MrOrpington16

MrOrpington16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2013
    MA
    So I got an Ameraucana 2 months ago at an adoption center... I was told that she was brought in as a baby nearly dead because the owner gave her grit instead of chicken feed.... Well they said she was 4 1/2 months old and she is currently 7 1/2 months ... She may be an olive egger... She has very light barring around the neck, but that's it... Well She is 4/12 pounds and the adults are soppised to weigh 5 so she is great on weight... Her comb is very( i mean tiny tiny tiny) but her face is red ... Her name is Queenie and I have her on layer pellets.... Why is she not laying?

This is her:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    One reason why she may not be laying is that daylight hours are decreasing. If daylight hours drop below fourteen hours or so, many chickens will stop laying/not lay. She might not lay until spring. Also, has anything stressful (predator attack, period without feed/water, etc) ocurred? Stress can cause chickens to not lay.

3. MrOrpington16

MrOrpington16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2013
    MA
    Nothing stressful that I know of ... None of my pullets are laying ... Even the ones with huge combs... I am thinking of putting a solar fixture in that will increase the daylight for 3-4 hours.. Hopefully this will help

4. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Just slow to maturing, that's one tiny comb and sure doesn't look like she'll be laying soon.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    She's probably going to take longer, as she was almost starved. I'd give her any extra protein you have. She still looks a bit thin. (Or they were off on her age)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by