7 1/2 week old chicks.... can they eat watermelon and other non starter grower food options at thi

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Sandy80, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Sandy80

Sandy80 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2016
    Upstate NY
    Hi Everyone,

I'm the proud chixs-momma of a dozen 7 1/2 week old chicks (mix of favorelles, wyandottes, auracuanas and australorps ), and this is my 2nd post and request for help on this forum since joining this community. The girls are being raised as pets, the fun they bring to life and for their eggs - nothing more.

My girls have been on Purina Organic chicken starter grower feed since day 3 of life when i brought them home. They seem to love it.

Questions:
    1. how safe it is to introduce other foods/ treats at this age ? right now the only treat i give them is meal worms ( & sparingly ). I have greens from radish plants that are growing outside their coop run - the girls go gaga over the leaves when they can peck a leaf free - is this OK for their digestion?

2. How long should I plan to continue to provide this starter /grower food before moving to the next stage? The packaging says up t 18 weeks. Thoughts?

3. what about watermelon? Is it safe to give them some to eat now? I've read chickens love watermelon.

Thanks in advance for any feedback and personal experiences on the above that you have had.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  2. Dom'sHEns

Dom'sHEns Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2007
    New Jersey
    Give them some watermelon! I start mine very young and greens and things like watermelon.

Just start slow. The only negative is a lot of watermelon gives them runny poo.

You can keep them on the starter until they being laying and then provide layer feed, or just keep them on a grower/raiser and provide free-choice oyster shell for calcium supplementation.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    The general rule of thumb is that treats should not constitute more than 10% of daily food intake. Some people feed treats, others don't, but this is influenced by a number of factors, particularly on whether they free range or not.

CT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by