7/12/11 @ 3:00pm - Bantam Cochin Eggs are Set!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Reyvaughn, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Yep, my 44 shipped bantam Cochin eggs have been set! And so it starts!

I candled everyone last night and I have 5 with detached air cells that I made little egg cups for so they sit upright. I'll candle on day 3 to see if anything is happening with them and the others.

This is my first time hatching (the elementary school hatch doesn't count - I only remember the teacher candling a bad on and cracking it open in the class). The last few day of testing my incubator have proved interesting. I've had low humidity, even for dry incubation and temps fluctuating from 97-102 degrees. So, if anything hatches, I will be nothing short of surprised!

I'll try to keep this a hatch-a-long, but I make no promises!

2. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Well, two problems already. I have some carpal tunnel issues and last night while hand turning the eggs, I dropped one and cracked it. I taped it and I am going to try giving it a fighting chance. I am not sure if the temps went down overnight or if's the last reading from my last turn. The digital thermometer records highs and lows and the low was 88 degrees. I really am hoping it was from my last egg turning!

I also had to cut the bottoms out of egg cartons and put all my eggs in the cartons. You could hear the eggs jiggling around when someone walked across my kitchen floor - again, gotta love circa 1800's farm houses. It does make turning a little easier. Next time I am going to spring for an egg turner though.

And, my other dozen of hatching eggs arrive today!

3. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    The last 12 shipped eggs are in the incubator.
    Two of them are cracked. The one is pretty bad, but cleaned them and I taped them both.
    Thankfully they weren't the red browns I was so excited to get! I just hope at least those three of this dozen hatch out!

4. Urban Chaos

Urban Chaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2011
    Austin
    Hey there - I just set some bantam Cochin eggs (first time hatch) as well. Mine were put in on 07/9. My temp is staying stable, but my humidity is fluctuating like crazy. From what I hear that shouldn't be a problem at this point. [​IMG] we can do this!

5. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Quote:Oh, yes, my humidity has ranged from 29% to 50% so far. I just really hope I have a decent hatch rate. With this being my first time, if I get half of them, I will be thrilled! Although, I am hoping for a few more than that. Ideally, I'd live to see 30-35 new bantam Cochins running around my brooder. I know not to get my hopes up to high, though.

Good luck to us both! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by