7:25pm "Mom! Mom! It's hatching!! It's hatching!"

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by clarkestep, Jun 13, 2008.

1. clarkestep

clarkestep Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    N Metro Atlanta
    Mom's in the shower (that would be me) and can't wash the soap off fast enough. She gets out, half dries, and throws on a robe. "Like coming out of the shell?" "Yes!" She runs to the kitchen. She and 2 boys (10 and 11) crowd around to see their first baby pop the lid off it's shell! Way to go Peeps! She's so pooped that she just lays there and only moves just a tiny bit!

Now, Blondie, as we will be calling her, has been pecking at the exact same hole for 5 or 6 hours! Duh! Start piping around the shell like your sister (we're speaking girlhood over them all), Dummy!

Most of the others have a small pip now. We are concerned that the first piped egg we saw at 4am still hasn't gotten any bigger. We'll see what happens!

I'm so excited! I took pics but I've got to find my camera cord to hook it up to the computer!

Later!

Chicken mommy, JC

2. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    how exciting! Congratulations on the new arrivals!!!! Good thing your son was checking the incubator!

Can't wait to see pics:jumpy

3. clarkestep

May 20, 2008
    N Metro Atlanta
    Yes, I know. He came running into my bedroom! I'm glad he knew not to come into the bathroom!

So, is it pretty normal for them to just be kind of lethargic? She is just laying there. She did move just now and got up on top of one of the other eggs and fell asleep. She's so pooped!

JC

4. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

It sure is hard work to hatch out. She is fine just a little tired. In a few hours she will not sit still. [​IMG]

5. clarkestep

May 20, 2008
    N Metro Atlanta
    Got 2 more babies! Both are black with mostly black beaks, pinkish/black legs. Don't know what kind they are.

One of them has a little of the yolk attached, I'm worried a little. It is greenish (snot green) with off white streaks. I'm trying to keep the others off of her.

OMGoodness, it is amazing how once one is hatched how the others follow! It is amazing!

More later!

JC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by