1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

7 .5 week golden cuckoo marans pullet or cockerel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by fishnmama, Aug 21, 2018.

1. fishnmama

fishnmama Songster 5 Years

Oct 7, 2012
    Loomis
    I have another chick that I am unsure of and s gcuckoo 7wks.JPG gcuckooa 7 wks.JPG gcuckoob 7 wks.JPG gcuckooc 7 wks.JPG gcuckood 7 wks.JPG gcuckooe 7 wks.JPG gcuckoof 7 wks.JPG ure hope that I can get some help sexing this chick. Because of its behavior I would say cockerel but at 7.5 weeks the comb hasn't changed or gotten any color and there are no wattles so far. What do you guys think?

Alexandra33 and Chick-N-Fun like this.
  2. JedJackson

JedJackson Crowing

Jul 6, 2016
    Both look like pullets to me. I'm not too familiar with golden cuckoos but these look like regular cuckoo Marans to me.

3. fishnmama

Oct 7, 2012
    Loomis
    I was thinking that is was a regular cuckoo marans but the breeder that I got her from said she was a golden cuckoo. Guess we will see.

4. JedJackson

JedJackson Crowing

Jul 6, 2016
    Yeah, I am not sure how GCM genetics work, so maybe it's a recessive gene and doesn't show up in all the birds. But I believe even GCM pullets should have some gold color at the hackle. Hopefully other folks who know this variety will add their thoughts.

5. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Feather & Fur Whisperer Premium Member

Jun 26, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Pullet! ❤️

JedJackson, fishnmama and Alexandra33 like this.
  6. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Free Ranging

I must agree that due to the lack of "gold", she doesn't resemble a Golden Cuckoo....normal Cuckoo seems to fit better. :)

Pretty pullet, as well.

~Alex

7. fishnmama

Oct 7, 2012
    Loomis
    I'll keep you posted as she matures.

Alexandra33 likes this.
  8. fishnmama

Oct 7, 2012
    Loomis
    I posted pictures at 7.5 weeks and most replies were Pullet but I am not so sure at 11 weeks. Does she still look like a pullet?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. JedJackson

JedJackson Crowing

Jul 6, 2016
    It's definitely questionable on that bird now. The comb and wattles are big for 11 weeks. On the other hand, they are only pink, not bright red. The reason we all thought she was a pullet is because pullets from barred or cuckoo breeds have different, darker barring than males, with a wider area of black than white. But this bird's barring and overall coloring is becoming lighter as it grows new feathers. So it's a bit of a quandary. My vote is that it is a cockerel, because of the well developed comb and wattles at such an early age, and also because the legs are so thick.

I would love to know what other posters think. A consensus would help.

KikiLeigh02 likes this.
  10. KikiLeigh02

KikiLeigh02 Free Ranging

May 11, 2018
    Western Kentucky
    I'm thinking cockerel too. I posted on OP's other thread.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/11-week-old-cuckoo-marans-sexing-help.1271737/

JedJackson likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: