7.5 week old Barnyard mixes

MommaBee

Chirping
7 Years
May 25, 2012
Texas
Our broody hatched out 6 baby chicks almost 8 weeks ago. At the time we did not have a rooster so we had to buy her fertile eggs from a neighboring farm. So we have not clue on their parentage. They are a lil skiddish, being broody raised which is why it was hard to get these pics. We have 3 birds in question. And would love your help!

1. Wanda- we are pretty sure is a girl. Would her comb be considered a single or a form of a pea comb? Wondering if she will be an easter egger.

2. We think might be a boy- barred boys are usually lighter in color but he often fights the one we are sure is a boy

3. Leaning towards boy....

4.) Bonus Bird 1- We know this one is a girl but we just think she is interesting looking. She shows barring at the head but at the rear it fads to something else. She had green legs that are turning a lil yellow. Think she will be an easter egger?

Here is the last bonus bird- We know he is a boy. But he also has us wondering. He has dark feathered green legs. Sing comb. And super manly, already crowing like a lil teenager. He has good muffs and beard. Considering keeping him for future olive egger projects. Do you think he carries the blue/green gene?

Thanks for your help! I know barnyards do not get much attention on here, usually because of their difficulty to sex. But that is why I waited until 7-8 weeks.
Thanks again!

Oh, I love barnyard mixes! Have a whole, well, barn yard of them lol.

First, the genes for blue or green eggs are closely linked to a pea comb. It's not 100%, esp with mixes, but a straight combed bird is way less likely to lay or carry genes for colored eggs.

Wanda has a single comb, her color is common for easter eggers or mixed breeds in general. She may lay a cream or pinkish tinted egg.
2 is a male. Yes, pure barred males are lighter overall in color, but if only one parent is barred, the color is darker, like a pure hen's. He does have some muffs, showing probably EE heritage, but the comb's not really pea so he may not pass on colored egg genes.

3 is male. He looks like a gold laced Wyandotte mix.

4 I can't see the comb well, but the muffs show she has probably ee heritage. Could be someone's attempt at an olive egger, or a barred easter egger.

5 straight comb again, probably not good colored egg sire potential.

1. Wanda looks like a pretty girl. Her comb is a single comb, and I think that she is an Easter Egger. You have a lesser chance of getting green eggs from her (single comb EE are less likely than pea-combed EE to produce colored eggs), but she might still lay colored eggs.

2. Yes, this one's a cockerel! I'd say that he's a cross of an Easter Egger and a Barred Rock.

3. This bird is a cockerel, and I'd say that he has some Golden-Laced Wyandotte in him. Easter Eggers might also be in his ancestry.

4. Another bird that likely is an EE/Barred Rock cross. She may lay green eggs.

5. He is definitely a cockerel. He likely has EE in him, but because he has a single comb, may not be a good carrier of the colored-egg gene.

Hope this helps! You have a nice bunch of barnyard mixes.

Thank you guys!! That was such a quick response! I was not sure anyone would reply. I appreciate it!

You cleared up my doubts. #2 was the one I was really on the fence about. The others I was 90% sure one.

We got a lil jaded on the peacomb thing. Our last batch we hatched had peacombs and we kept them only to get brown eggs from the 2 we kept, haha! Our luck!

Yes 4 does have a pea comb and the green legs! We will def kept her for the oliver egger project. (We have a white Marans Roo now!!!)

I wish 5 had a pea comb! He is such a pretty bird.

Thanks again! And if anyone cares to confirm or share more I will gladly read it!

1. Wanda looks like a pretty girl. Her comb is a single comb, and I think that she is an Easter Egger. You have a lesser chance of getting green eggs from her (single comb EE are less likely than pea-combed EE to produce colored eggs), but she might still lay colored eggs.

2. Yes, this one's a cockerel! I'd say that he's a cross of an Easter Egger and a Barred Rock.

3. This bird is a cockerel, and I'd say that he has some Golden-Laced Wyandotte in him. Easter Eggers might also be in his ancestry.

4. Another bird that likely is an EE/Barred Rock cross. She may lay green eggs.

5. He is definitely a cockerel. He likely has EE in him, but because he has a single comb, may not be a good carrier of the colored-egg gene.

Hope this helps! You have a nice bunch of barnyard mixes.

X2

Back
Top Bottom