7-8 week old BR chick Hen or Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RevaT1987, Mar 25, 2017.

1. RevaT1987

RevaT1987 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2017
    Ft. McCoy, Florida
    I got 4 BR chicks from the feed store 4 weeks ago. They were around 1-1/2-2 weeks old when I got them so I am guessing they are around 7-8 weeks old now. They were all supposedly hens but I have noticed one chick is a different color from the others (more white) and his/her tail feathers look a little different. I don't see a huge difference in a comb color or size but I am no way "trained" in exactly what to look for [​IMG] Maybe it's still a hen and they just are not purebreds. I have posted a pictures of the chick alone and with my others so you can see the difference in color (its very obvious)

Any help telling me if I have a hen or roo would be great! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Looks like a pullet to me. I do see she's a bit lighter, but not light enough to be a cockerel. I think it's just normal variation of hatchery stock--a few of your birds are very dark.

3. RevaT1987

Mar 16, 2017
    Ft. McCoy, Florida
    Awesome! Thank you! I was kinda hoping she was a he, but oh well. Thanks for your advice! I haven't owned chickens in about 12 years so I feel like I am learning it all over again lol

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  4. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Well hey, if you're wanting a male, just put your location in your profile and I'm sure one of us hatching addicts would be more than happy to drop one off [​IMG]

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    X2

Also, as @donrae said, it should be pretty easy to find yourself a male - many folks will win the "cockerel lottery" with this year's chicks they start and be looking to move them out of their flocks. That being said, I would actually encourage you to think about finding a nice, mature rooster over a year old.

ETA - that nice mature rooster search can wait until your girls are a bit more mature.

1 person likes this.
  6. RevaT1987

Mar 16, 2017
    Ft. McCoy, Florida
    I am in Florida halfway between Ocala and Gainesville. I will defiantly be getting a roo when the they start laying eggs but I will have to wait until my chicks are sleeping outside at night because I only have so much room in the laundry room. I am scared something will get in the coop at night and kill them. So for now they free roam the back yard during the day and at night sleep in wire crates in my laundry room. Any idea when they will start laying eggs? I can't seem to get a age range when I goigle. I have found anything from 12 weeks to 30+ weeks. I will be on the look out for a nice roo so if anyone has one that will be ready in a few weeks/months please let me know.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    That lighter chick is a pullet.

8. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Barred Rocks from a hatchery typically start laying around 20-24 weeks. they'll grow a larger comb, the comb and face will get red, those indicate sexual maturity. means eggs are incoming [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. RevaT1987

Mar 16, 2017
    Ft. McCoy, Florida

Awesome thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by