7-8 wk Pekin walking on "toes"

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cyriuskee, Dec 3, 2016.

1. cyriuskee

cyriuskee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2016
    Savannah, GA
    Hi everyone!
    I have a young pekin duckling, 7-8 weeks old, that is walking perfectly erect on "tippy toes" with both his legs completely straight. He eats, drinks and poops normally. I'm not sure how long it's been going on since he's in a group of about 20 that free range during the day and are in an appropriate sized pen at night. All of the ducks he is with are fine and healthy, I think I would have noticed this earlier if he has been doing this all along because it's very odd looking. I've never seen such a thing! They have the appropriate diet including niacin supplements 3-4 days per week and no other birds show any sign whatsoever of a diet/vitamin deficiency. What do you think...congenital or injury to both legs at same time or???

[​IMG]

2. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

It is a defect.....His tendons are not long enough....My Friend has a Runner with the same issues....Called him Fred.....Like off the Flintstones, when they go Bowling.....lol.............

Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  3. cyriuskee

Sep 10, 2016
    Savannah, GA

Lol @ fred Flintstone
    Did your friend find a remedy?

4. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

No......He is not as bad....Still walks funny.....He seems fine.....lol......I said call him Tippy......lol....As long as he is okay on his toes? Who cares.....No one is perfect.......

Cheers!

5. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    the band on his leg looks rather tight, that could be part of the problem

6. cyriuskee

Sep 10, 2016
    Savannah, GA
    Hi DwayneNLiz
    That was first thing i chpecked. It has plenty of room that it could go over his "knee". Thanks for responding!

7. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    [​IMG] just making sure

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by