7 baby bunnies on my rock wall!!! What do we do?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by redhen, May 15, 2010.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Should i leave them alone?? What if their mom died? What if they freeze tonight? They are just tiny things.. Palm of your hand size...
    Its LATE for them to be out of the den! they;re just babies! Where is their mother?? What do i do?? [​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  2. save the favs

save the favs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Oregon
    Quote:Ooooh they must be so cute. Hope their mom is around soon. If you do help them, be prepared to go the distance with them, as I don't think the mon would take them back after human scent on them. Do you think their wild or a neighbors breeding?

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Since reading up on raising bunnies for meat, I've since learned that mom bunny will feed her kits usually just twice a day for like 15 minutes and spend the other 23 hours and 30 minutes off somewhere away from the nesting site to avoid attracting predators.

4. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I dont know what to do! My gut tells me to gather them up for the night ...
    but my brain says to leave them alone ... that i could do them more harm by catching them...
    ahhhhhh! Theyre all huddled together , they look cold!

5. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Should i put hay out there by them for them to huddle under??
    My husband stained the deck today.. i wonder if mom moved them?? (the rock wall is right by the deck...)

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  6. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I'd leave them be. They're liable to scatter and be even colder all alone.

7. dot n'dave

dot n'dave Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    CT
    Maybe just give them something they can go into if they want. If you have a shallow box with bedding, or hay they can jump in and huddle. Rabbits are a bit active at dusk so maybe moms off somewhere....well actually it is kinda late!

8. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    leave them there. if you mess with them the momma may not come back. the momma rabbit does not stay with them only to feed them twice a day

9. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    The thing that i'm afraid of is... my husband spray stained the deck today.. and when he cleaned out the sprayer he did it right at the base of the rock wall.... [​IMG]
    Is still really smells like stain right where they are...
    i think that the smell is scaring them from going back into their nest or something??....not to mention..what if they eat any of the grass there?? [​IMG]
    I'm gonna go check them again...

10. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Are they furred and are their eyes open? I hand raised two bunnys that my dogs dug up in my garden. The dogs had already killed 3 of them so I had to take them. I fed them KMR and when they were old enough, brought in clover and clover flowers. Then I released them. Depending on how old they are, they should be in a nest lined with mama's furr. Keep your eyes peeled for mama. I'd be in the same tizzy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by