7 Black Australorps? -- PICTURES ADDED

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jt673, Aug 26, 2010.

1. jt673

jt673 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2010
    Hello Everyone! I am new to the forum and have found such a wealth of information here. Looking forward to sharing and hearing of others experiences. We have 4 Children, 3 Cayuga Ducks, 1 Green cheek conure, 1 Blue Cane Corso, and 7 Happy CHICKS which are suppose to be Black Australorps. I confirmed with the person who we got them from that the Rooster is a Rhode Island Red and the mother, who also brooded them for the first 2 weeks, is a Black Australorp. His other hens are BR's.

Our question is whether any of them SHOULD be showing a few white bars on the sides of their chest. All of them however have the black feathers with the beetle green sheen on their backs. They are approximately going on 4 weeks.

Three of them also seem to have dark reddish brown fuzz on their heads? Are they potentially roos? Also, they all have combs except for one. The one who does not have a comb is also the only one with a long tail. She/He is almost fully feathered with black/green sheen feathers. The other 6 have stubs.

Any input will be great!

Thanks!

PICTURES ARE BELOW iN MY POST FURTHER DOWN, THANKS

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  2. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    [​IMG] & [​IMG]
    Can you post pics? It sounds like there might be a couple of BR mixes in there.

3. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Pictures are helpful.

Mixes are hard to figure. I have a barred rock/Silver laced wyandotte mixed roo - He looks like a SLW but has a single comb instead of a rose comb. Also the Hen that brooded them was not biologically related to any of the eggs. She was broody for a long time and hadn't laid any eggs. I only have one roo so I knew he had to be the babydaddy. I got the SLW roo to breed with my golden Laced to get some blue laced reds but I have the combo wrong. The roo has to be a GLW and the hens SLW. A cross between my GLW female and my SLW male would be SLW because of something to do with dominant genes.

Caroline

4. jt673

jt673 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2010
    Hi again, How do you post pics on here? Do they have to be uploaded to another site and then link to them on here? Thanks!

5. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
  6. jt673

jt673 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2010
    Cool, Thanks Caroline!

Below are pics of our chicks!

[​IMG]

One with the reddish (to me) head is in the front.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The red head and one with no comb are in the top left corner..
    [​IMG]

The only one with a long tail is in the front
    [​IMG]

Thanks again everyone!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by