7 boys and 9 girls

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Niss, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Niss

Niss Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    I just nailed down sex of every member of the flock. I won't be able to keep all those drakes, will I? Space is not an issue as they free range, but is the ratio acceptable?
    If I need to cull when is the best time? Should I wait and see if any of the mallards fly away? (if they all go I would have 3 boys and 6 girls--would that work?) I don't know that I want to part with any of them but I don't have the facilities to keep them separated. would even tolerate being apart if they could still see you hear each other? if I do get rid of some drakes how do I choose which to keep?

2. ZoeS95423

ZoeS95423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Three boys and six girls would work, I try going by, 2 females per male, it also depends on how agressive your ducks are. But with what you have now you have one female per male plus two extra. If space isnt an issue maybe you could get 4 more females?

3. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Choosing which drakes to keep would depend on what you have the ducks for. Are they for meat, pets, lawn ornaments?

4. bayyjayy

bayyjayy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    Quote:Seriously, funny!

5. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Hey! Some people have birds for that. Granted, they are usually fake and dressed in costumes. [​IMG]

6. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Hey mine are lawn ornaments! Just kidding [​IMG]

7. Niss

Apr 29, 2011
    [​IMG] Actually folks, they ARE lawn orniments! That and bug control (with mixed results--Japanees beetles way down, mosquitoes down a little, flies up). I just think they are fun to watch and talk to. I love to pet them, but they seem to think I'm going to eat them so I refrain.

Zoe--They were all hatched this spring, so I can't say how agressive they are. I only see one getting it on with the ladies, but the others may still be immature. I ment they have lots of room to roam, the coop isn't really big enough to house more. I would like more, just so I can get some magpies, but I don't know what the husband would say--they really do eat like pigs!

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:or pink! [​IMG]

9. Niss

Apr 29, 2011
    I only have 3 pekins, so I'm limited in adding pink to the yard [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by