7 chickens dead, 1 peachick and 1 turkey ?????? WHAT IN THE WORLD !!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by momw2cutekids, Oct 2, 2011.

1. momw2cutekids

momw2cutekids Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    So about a month ago, I buried about 1 hen and about 5 chicks ( 2 silkie, 1 americana, 3 turkens) then, I bury a 3 months old turkey a few weeks ago.
    Yesterday, I come home to find my peachick dead [​IMG] and now tonight I just found my favorite 5mth old silkie dead [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I don't understand what in happening, I do free range them and they stay in my yard ~ They all seem in to be in the same position when I find them minus the turkey !
    They are fine looking and then the next thing I know they are laying down in a way that makes their necks look broken and they are gasping for air and then next thing I know they are dead ! WHAT IN THE WORLD could be happening ???? [​IMG]

I've tried searching on the internet at the symptoms but, I can't figure this out - So does this mean all my other chickens are gonna die too ????? [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  2. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    i can give you replacement chicks if you want

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I'm not certain that there is quite enough information here to go on. It doesn't sound like a predator though, because you don't mention wounds or scattered feathers. Since they are only free ranging in your yard, I wonder if there is something that might be poisonous to them. Do you use fertilizers, insecticides or pesticides in your yard? And plants that might be poisonous?

And, no difference in their behavior prior to their deaths?

I'm very sorry for the loss of your birds. It must be maddening to not know the cause.

4. Pickaduck

Pickaduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Alabama
    Quote:That's a sweet offer but I think the OP should find out the cause of the deaths before bringing more birds in - especially if it's a case of them eating/exposed to toxins/poisons.

If they are not showing any nasal discharge or eye troubles or raspy breathing, etc then it sounds like it almost has to be them eating something poisonous or toxic. Do they have access to anything that might be poisonous or toxic?

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Do you have any problem with neighbors that don't want chickens around?

6. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Don't worry about the double post. I think that's one question that bears repeating!

Very sad about your birds OP. A lot more info would help people help you. You can start by answering the questions in the 'sticky' in the beginning of the Emergencies/Diseases/Cures section.

What is their diet (besides free range)? Any chance of moldy feed? Fresh water at all times?

JJ

7. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    That is horrible... I am so sorry for your loss.

I used to think I wanted to raise a turkeyor two.... and could do so with my chickens... then I read about how many diseases turkeys carry (and can pass on to chickens). I no longer want any turkeys, especially not around my chickens. Too risky, too scary (for me).

And, I would not introduce anyone new until I found out what was going on, what was killing them. If you are near any college... especially one with a veterinary school, you might be able to find out via necropsy (animal autopsy) -- I am guessing you would have to refridgerate the body and call the college... or state department of agriculture to see what and where and how much it would cost to do the post mortem?

I also think you need to provide some more information here... how old are your chickens .... any illnesses or signs of illness at all... have you checked everyone's poop? Have you wormed, when, with what?

The deaths: no sign of any predator getting into the yard? No one aggressive chicken or turkey, attacking others? No feathers laying about? No blood? No wounds?

If they are all dying suddenly, everyone is perfectly healthy, eating, drinking, no mites, normal poop... did each and everyone that died do so while you were away? Not home? Asleep? Day, night?

May I suggest you use the SEARCH here on BYC... type in Sudden Death... you will get a list of links to topic on the subject... you might find some answers there.

I am sorry for your loss(es), good luck.

8. momw2cutekids

Aug 5, 2011
    Well, I have no neighbors for acres and acres and I have nothing around that is poisons or toxic to them - Now the first hen that died I did put her in isulation because she was stinky and sneezing and lethargic - I don't know if what she had is still lingering but, I did clean everything really well....it seems after her only the young chickens were dying and then there was a few weeks were I thought everything was a O.K. and then to see this happening again as of yesterday ! All my older chickens seem to be fine right now it's funny because everyone is happy and healthy and the next thing I know they are laying their w/ their necks twisted, gasping - I just started searching again and I found Newcastles Disease but, some of those symptoms don't match - So I don't know.

BTW....Thank You so Much OrphingtonKid, I really appreciate your generousity [​IMG] ~ I know the kids would just love that but, right now I really need to figure out what is happening with the flock before I buy or get anymore chickens [​IMG]

9. momw2cutekids

Aug 5, 2011
    I also wanted to mention that there is no mold, always free water and fresh food.....This isn't being done my a predator and I have no chickens that are aggressive. Also, the turkey and the peachick were in seperate cages and away from the chickens when they died. And the chickens are dying at night and one or two have been during the day [​IMG] So I have no Idea - I have had chickens forever and nothing like this has ever happened - I am starting to wonder about the place of purchase ! !

10. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Maybe its Acute Death Syndrome (Flip Over Disease).
    You should check it out and see if it matches.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by