7 day candle, not sure what to make of them. (duck eggs)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kyle85, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Kyle85

Kyle85 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    2 were clear on the inside, so I cracked them open and one looked like a regular egg while the other had 5 red dots in the shape of the #5 side of a dice. Not sure what to make of that.

My main concern, however, are the other supposedly fertile duck eggs. I can clearly see a network of veins which is a good thing I gather...but all of them also have a thin dark ring around them, similar to the blood ring. I don't know if they are all dead or if this is normal.

the veins aren't as clear in the picture, but they are there.

[​IMG]

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Looks like a blood ring to me?

3. GreenGoddess

GreenGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    Honestly, I can see the veins in the pics also and I also see the ring you are talking about.. But, because there are still veins, I would hold off on tossing that one.. Who knows.. It may just be a shadow from the yolk and the way you are holding the egg to the light... Candle in 3 more days and decide then...

Goddess [​IMG]

4. Kyle85

Jul 31, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    they all look just the same. the veins are very obvious in real life, not so much in the picture. But then so is then so is the ring.

The temp and humidty has always been kept very accurate. except for the first 2-3 days it was kept at 70-80% by mistake.

thanks for the advice guys, any other opinions?

5. Laurelm

Laurelm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    San Diego County
    My experience, although limited, has been that when I have seen a blood ring it has been in the liquid part of the egg not above the liquid and below the air sac. Does that make sense?

I'd keep them in the incubator. I think as long as you've got veins you're in god shape. Pretty soon you should also be able to see the embryo moving around.

Good luck - I have about 10 ducks eggs in the incubator right now - can't wait to see the ducklings!

6. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Are you sure you're not just seeing the air cell boundary? Also, and I don't know why this is, but mine always have a darker area in the middle and a clearer area at the bottom. The area at the bottom shrinks gradually and disappears a few days before lockdown. Maybe you're seeing that?

If you have good strong veins, you are in good shape. Someone recently posted on this board that veins deteriorate very quickly if the embryo dies, so it would probably be gone before a blood ring would form. I think you're probably okay. Let us know!

7. pax12

pax12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    PA
    give it a few days

8. Kyle85

Jul 31, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    Quote:I can see where the air sac boundary is, its a sharp line. The ring is past that boundary.

I'm going to check them again sunday or monday.

9. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Sounds good. I'm looking at your picture, and it looks normal to me. There is a line between the darker orange and the paler yellow in the picture--is that what you mean? I'm not sure what that is but I've noticed it too when candling--it seems to have something to do with how far the embryo's network has developed--the darker part is where the embryo has spread its veins, etc., and the paler part is where it has not yet spread. Does that make sense? I don't know if it's correct, but it's a potential explanation for the same phenomenon I've noticed in my eggs. Let us hear how your candling goes in a few days!

10. Kyle85

Jul 31, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    just for future reference, incase anyone has this same problem, the eggs are doing fine so far. I can see them moving around in their eggs as of a few days ago.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by