7 Day old bantam gets knocked on back and can't get up.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chelsey21211, Mar 23, 2013.

1. chelsey21211

chelsey21211 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    North Texas
    Hello fellow chicken lovers :) I'm new to the chicken world but have done tones of research on this site and a thousand more so I have a pretty good understanding I feel of what to expect from my 10 beautiful new babies. Except there is an occurring issue at hand that I have found nothing about. So hopeful to establish myself here in the byc community I'm also hoping for any feed back on this chick has fallen and can't get up issue...

2. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Does your bantam have heavily feathered legs? Does it eventually get up or do you have to help it up every time? How does it act the rest of them time?

We had a little d'Uccle bantam that kept falling on his back and just laying there. He wouldn't get up and would just lay there. Unfortunately, he ended up not making it.

At the same time, I've seen them get flipped over and struggle to get them back up SOMETIMES. I've always wondered if it has something to do with all those feathers on their feet. I'd say the difference is how often it happens and if they can get themselves back up or not.

3. chelsey21211

Mar 15, 2013
    North Texas
    As of yesterday he would only be back bound after being knock around by the other chicks and he would just lay there.Thid had me checking on him periodically through the night. This mornin I went in to chk.him and there he lay....on his back. :( I frantically reached in to get him and to my surprise, he shot up like a rocket and! He does seem perfectly normal other than this...well maybe not perfectly. He does hold his.wings kkinda funny compared to his twin...thanks for your input!

4. lalalovinlil

lalalovinlil Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2012
    It might be a comfortable position for him to rest try holding him upsidown and rubbing his stomach.

5. chelsey21211

Mar 15, 2013
    North Texas
    Haha that sounds funny but I will try it for sure. shoot for I know he will be waiting for his belly rubs from now on! Thanks!

6. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by