7 day old chick is limping...momma isn't helping

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fishermans wife, May 18, 2010.

1. fishermans wife

fishermans wife Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    Ventura County
    Sorry, I don't know if I should post here or in injuries..so move it if needed.

I have a Jersey giant (and she is giant) with an EE chick, and mutt chick. The EE started limping yesterday. I was not there to see what happened, but she was very rambunctious and healthy earlier, so my guess is either momma stepped on her, or it is an injury of some sort. There is no sign of broken bones that I can see. She keeps her foot flat and tucked up - no curling of toes, no open sores, bleeding, etc. I have started her on Polyvisol (no iron), but momma just runs off as she has been for several days with chicks in tow. Now this one can't keep up, and momma doesn't seem to notice (or care), leaving it open to being "picked off". I realize this is "natures way" , but I really don't want to lose this chick if it can be avoided. [​IMG]

What should I do? Please - I do not want to cull until I know we have exhausted options without results. I could isolate - but she would be alone as I only have the 2 chicks and none of my feed stores have babies right now. She is eating/drinking.

Thanks!

2. Why and Dotte

Why and Dotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Little Rock,Arkansas
    If the chick is in danger I would put mama and babies in a small brooder until the chick is better or it learns to manage, mama will start leaving them when she feels they're old enough usually around 4-6 wks old so you'll need a brooder anyway.

3. fishermans wife

fishermans wife Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    Ventura County
    Right now the chick is in an overturned box corner with holes - outside in the fenced off coop area (kind of like a 2 foot long tpee) that it went into on it's own. I added water, food and shavings and a heat lamp - but it can see and hear mom. Mom seems ok with it - and the other chick joins it from time to time, mom stands by the box on guard. I know it is a temporary solution for the moment, but she is safe until I can come up with some sort of brooder. They had the chicks in the coop - and take them back in there each night to their "box" to sleep. The rest of the time they are out and about, mom warming them as they need it. The other hens have been great about leaving the chicks alone. Ideally I would like the chick to be raised by the mother, but maybe that is expecting too much.

So the chicks are not ready to fully integrate when mom leaves them at 4-6 weeks? They need to be put into a brooder? I am sorry - I started with chicks last year - so they came as a "flock", this is my first time with baby chicks that were hatched by a broody, and her raising them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by