7 day old chick wont stand on one leg

Smallark

Hatching
Apr 1, 2018
Picked up two one week old chicks the day before yesterday. One is not using his leg and chirping loudly often. What could be wrong?

Attachments

• 2D0BD0DC-9761-4710-A5B3-C9235E0D7E6A.jpeg
    2D0BD0DC-9761-4710-A5B3-C9235E0D7E6A.jpeg
    289.8 KB · Views: 8
She doesn't seem to be in pain when I touch the leg. I am taking her to a vet this afternoon. Thank you SO much for your response!

Hi @Smallark :frow Welcome To BYC
Does the leg have any swelling at the joints?
In the photo - the side of the chick looks to be wet(?) - is there a discharge from that side of the chick or is she dirty?
With chicks it's very hard to know what's going in when they have leg issues - could be number of things like dislocated hip, slipped tendon, injury or genetic/developmental disorder. If she is chirping constantly and loudly, then she is not comfortable and in pain - is she warm and eating/drinking?
You may find some useful information in the following link https://sites.google.com/a/larsencreek.com/chicken-orthopedics/

I do not see any swelling in the bad leg. I believe the chick is just dirty on that side since she falks ocasionally. I rinsed her off but that side is not as fluffy as the other. She is eating and drinking. I have a heating pad and a lamp and she stays in the warmer side. I’m wondering if I should make her leg brace?

Attachments

• 4F00C6E5-302B-4C50-A843-BD4C64F6578C.jpeg
    4F00C6E5-302B-4C50-A843-BD4C64F6578C.jpeg
    289.8 KB · Views: 3
Does she indicate pain when manipulating the leg?
Can she put any weight on it?

It may be dislocated - but it's hard to know. You could try a brace to see if that helps.

Back
Top Bottom