1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

7 day old duckling gasping for Air

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ellie97, Sep 3, 2016.

1. ellie97

ellie97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2011
    My 7-day old Pekin duckling began just a couple of hours ago gasping for air. She is otherwise acting mostly normal. She's eating, drinking and pooping normally. Her cage has been kept very clean, but I'm concerned about Aspergillosis because we just tore up our kitchen floors and found a ton of mold. I've already cleaned out her cage (again) and moved her out of the house to my mom's clinic. Is there anything else I can do to help her have a better shot of making it?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Do you know what the temp is in the brooder? Pekins can over heat pretty easy. All ducklings can but Pekins especially since they grow so quickly. Make sure there is a way to get out from under the heat lamp in other words put the heat lamp at one end and that way the other end of brooder should be cooler but you def need a thermometer in the brooder to keep track of the temp,.If she has been exposed to mold then I'd say a Vet would be best since they may want to put her on some kind of antibiotic. @ellie97

3. ellie97

Apr 24, 2011
    She definitely isn't too hot-she can definitely get away from the heat and when she is out for a while she doesn't improve. I'm hoping she makes it through the night. She is just so little and fragile. I have Baytril and went ahead and gave her a drop in her water (had no clue how to dose since she's probably about 1 ounce, do I just did my best). If she makes it through the night I will probably do another dose of Baytril and if she's still with me Monday but not significantly better, will get her to the vet. I can't really afford an emergency visit.

4. purslanegarden

purslanegarden Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2016
    does she have a way to dunk her head into water to clear her nostrils? i don't know if ducklings need it at this age but teen and mature ducks do.

1 person likes this.
  5. ellie97

Apr 24, 2011
    She can dunk her head. I'm about to head to Tractor supply to see what I can get for her.

1 person likes this.
  6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  7. ellie97

Apr 24, 2011
    Update: I'm thrilled to say that she is doing much better! I don't know if it's the change of air quality or the antibiotic but she is breathing much more easily and seems comfortable. I will certainly keep doing what I'm doing since it seems to be working!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by