7 day old limping chick- broken leg? Tendon? Caused by blocked vent?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by suzannaski, Apr 21, 2011.

1. suzannaski

suzannaski Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Berlin
    He's not using his right leg, but he can move it from the hip. It looks a touch different below the "hock" than the normal leg. He's alert, not lethargic, except for being exhausted trying to hop around the brooder. He eats if he can get his head in the feed, and I am giving him eyedroppers of electrolytes, Selmut and soaked feed every few hours.
    Should I just wait to see if he improves?
    Would this lameness be caused by a vent that was blocked overnight?
    Also what are the signs of a chick in pain? I'd like to know so that I don't keep him in pain. Can you even give analgesics to chicks?
    Thanks for any help.

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Not sure what the cause is but I doubt a blocked vent would cause only one leg to be lame.

3. suzannaski

suzannaski Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Berlin
    It was a torn muscle in the upper leg. We had to put the poor thing down, he/she was getting trampled by the other chicks.
    We were lucky to have a very compassionate horse vet visiting yesterday, and she did a great job. First an opioid for sedative and analgesic, then the "blue stuff". The little ball of fluff made a tiny little "peep" with its last breath.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by