7 days & no eggs - what to do?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SoCalHenMan, Oct 13, 2014.

1. SoCalHenMan

SoCalHenMan New Egg

Oct 13, 2014
    Hi everyone,

I just bought my first hens - 2 Rhode Island Red hens. They're big beautiful birds about 9 months old. I relocated them from 45 minutes away into my nice big new coop and they have yet to lay any eggs after a full week. Should I be concerned about them? The farmer I bought them from says they need time to settle, but a week seems like a long time to be settle. He offered to let me swap them out for different birds if I am concerned....

Any advice? Should I just relax or should I consider swapping them out?

Thanks in advance!

2. 11mini

11mini Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2014
    Lake Stevens, WA
    The changing weather can contribute as well as the stress from moving - are you sure they haven't hidden the eggs on you? Maybe they just have not found the nest box yet.
    Worst case they might not be hens, post some pics and many will answer.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  3. SoCalHenMan

SoCalHenMan New Egg

Oct 13, 2014
    Thanks. Here's a picture. I'm totally new to this so any advice is a big help.

[​IMG]

4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    A week isn't that long for them to over come the stress of a move. I have heard of them raking a month to settle in.

5. SoCalHenMan

SoCalHenMan New Egg

Oct 13, 2014
    Thanks. I'll give them a few more weeks to settle in before I give up on these girls. My dog has also been a bit of a nuisance, but I blocked the entry from her vision now so she's stopped irritating them. Thanks for the advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by