7 days without food or water

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by evelynrise, Jan 10, 2015.

1. evelynrise

evelynrise New Egg

Jan 10, 2015
    So, I thought I had lost my barred rock chicken to predators last Saturday. Looked a little for her but not extensively. Well, tonight while looking for another one I flipped over one of those big plastic tubs and there she was ALIVE! after seven days. She stood up and took a few steps around. I have her now in my shower with food and water. She is still standing, seems alert, and has pooped small but regular stools twice. Is there anything special I need to do to her or feed her to aid in recovery?

2. emma p

emma p Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2013
    Kansas
    Just make sure she is eating and drinking. I would keep her away from other birds. If she is not drinking dip her beak in the water. I do not really think there is anything else I would know to do. Hope you get more help and she recovers!

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I recommend that you immediately give her electrolytes or poultry nutri drench. Use an eyedropper to give it to her orally if she's not readily drinking water. Do not let her gorge on feed, she may develop impacted crop or gizzard. Feed her a little at a time, gradually increasing the amount over a couple of days back to regular feeding routine.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  4. XxMingirlxX

XxMingirlxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    I'm so glad you found her! Only give her very basic food like poultry feed and not extra treats for a few days, she will have eaten bugs so this is just a precaution, when an animal (or human) is starving they need to only eat basic food until they have gained some weight otherwise the body expends more energy trying to digest the food than it has in its fat reserves so it can kill them, so no treats like human food for now until she has eaten a fair amount of chicken food :)

I'm probably being over cautious but it's better than the alternative :) Keep us updated and good luck!

5. XxMingirlxX

XxMingirlxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    X2

6. emma p

emma p Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2013
    Kansas
    x3

7. evelynrise

evelynrise New Egg

Jan 10, 2015
    The only electrolyte drink I have is coconut water. Would that be okay to give her? My chickens usually free range during the day, are given greens and kitchen scraps, and eat poultry feed as they want to. I don't know if that would make a difference in how is would help her recover. Thanks for all the help guys!

8. LipsChicks

LipsChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2014
    North Dakota
    You could warm the coconut water a little and pour it over a bit of her regular chicken food to encourage her to eat if thats a problem. Shes a miracle gal!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by