7 Domonique chicks hatched and mailed out to me today!

I did "google it" and yes saw many designs. I believe I am going to make about a 4 foot square and 2 foot tall pvc pipe "box". Using 3/4 inch pvc and a roll of plastic chicken wire I bought in a garage sale. I will use zip ties and figure out some type of door. I will have a bottom of AT LEAST chicken wire. Trying to make it as light as possible. I will keep chicks in my dog crate brooder for first 2-3 weeks and then move them into this pvc brooder box until 6 weeks old. Then I can place the whole pvc box in the chicken run for a little while so they can adapt with other older birds. For the whole 6 weeks they will be locked up in my shop with no chance of predators. And my new coop and run is built RACOON PROOF!! Ya'll see anything wrong with this plan?? I can always use help. Remember...this is the guy who didn't know what a chicken tractor was!! Hah!

Sounds like a good tractor choice as long no dogs can get to it, and they go back to the garage at night... so, not the most predator proof, but if you are home, probably good enough.

PVC is so light and easy to move... I would go with something a tiny bit bigger, maybe a 3 x 6.

Alaskan, I plan to keep the pvc brooder in my shop the whole time until they are 6 weeks old. At that time I will place it inside the racoon proof chicken run with my 6 white leghorns to let them start getting used to each other. My daughter in law is taking 2 of the day old birds so I will only need a box for around 5 birds. Another friend is taking 2 birds but not sure at what age she can accept them. I will put something light in the bottom to hold in wood chips for the babys too. Not sure about a door yet to be able to let the little ones get out and the "big" birds not get in for awhile?? This, after they are 6 weeks old. And pvc box is placed inside big chicken run.

Back
Top Bottom