7 dust in dust bath

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Roy Rooster, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Roy Rooster

Roy Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Hi [​IMG]

This is my first time raising chickens. I put them out in their coop/pen
    about two weeks ago. I have a sand box in the pen for then
    to pick at and bathe in.

They are finally using it for a dust bath, I was wondering would
    it be a good idea to put 7 dust in the sand to help with any mites??

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks [​IMG]

2. amenfarm

amenfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    Chattanooga, TN
    I don't have chickens yet--next week. But from what I'm reading/learning I'll be using food grade Diatomaceous earth, it can also be added to feed for worming/dusting nest boxes. I'm trying to stay away from pesticides. Hopefully someone with experience will chime in to say I'm correct?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  3. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    Quote:You're correct. DE helps prevent pest and Sevin treats them when you get them. I reserve the pesticides for when I have a problem, not as a preventative.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:You add DE to feed to keep it dry from moisture, that's why it's called "food grade." It is ineffective til it dries, that's why it wont kill internal parasites because it is wet inside the chickens innards. It might help prevent lice/mites, but not an infestation. That's when you should consider using sevin dust, Adams products, or poultry protector.

5. FlipFlopFarmer

FlipFlopFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:You're correct. DE helps prevent pest and Sevin treats them when you get them. I reserve the pesticides for when I have a problem, not as a preventative.

i also use DE to prevent, but when i got nasty mites in only one of the 4 tractors i have last winter, i used 7 dust inside, and malathion outside. when i got crazy with the malathion, i moved all the chickens out of the tractor and dusted them individually with the 7 dust(malation is for non living things). while i never saw mites eating up the chickens, they were crawling all over the door seams and under the roost. it was my first experience with mites and i attribute it to the low floor on the coop section of that particular tractor and the several mice nests that were under it.

6. Roy Rooster

Roy Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Ok, Thank you all for your great input.

Is was very helpful. I am still trying to decide
    if I want to use DE. I have heard the opposite opinion
    of those who choose not to use DE. I guess I will have
    to give it more thought.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by