7 Eggs 18 Hens, here's my gameplan, whats your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by julnjake, Sep 19, 2011.

1. julnjake

julnjake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    SW PA
    Ok so I've posted before that a month ago we rescued 20 chickens that were abandoned. I have 18 hens and I'm getting 7 eggs a day. We brought them home Aug 21, we built them a new coop which was completed Aug 27. I'm fairly certain on the breeds but this is my first chicken experience so I could be wrong but according to me what I have is 6 RIRs, 2 Sex Links, 6 Leghorns, 4 EE's, and 2 Roos. All 6 Leghorns are laying and I get one brown egg a day, which leads me to believe of the 8 RIR's & Sex Links one is laying, maybe two, but I never get 2 brown eggs on the same day but sometimes one is darker and one is lighter. I thought for a moment the lighter could be from an EE but the brown eggs are quite large. Anyhow supposedly the 8 girls I should get brown eggs from are 2 yrs old and all the rest were just hatched this spring.

I assume the EE's aren't laying because they're young.

The chickens free range during the day. Because we've been rebuilding our barn we've spent many days outside with the chickens all day long, they do not wander very far and I'm pretty confident of knowing where they hang out. I have searched to see if they are laying outside of the coop anywhere and haven't found any eggs. But I do have a lab who "free ranges" too, lol, and he could be eating them.

So 3 questions;
    1. Could they still be stressed from the move and not laying?

2. I am going to try leaving them in the coop for awhile so they'll have to lay in there. How long should I try this? All day for several days/week (s), or just until late afternoon or evening and still let them out daily? The coop is 8x11 with 6 nesting boxes and 2 windows in it.

3. Right now I feed them layer feed only as much as they'll eat, about 7-10lbs a day, feed 2-3 times a day. Someone told me to mix scratch with the layer half and half. But I read that if they free range and can access sand/small pepples, etc. they didn't need scrach? They're free range is 14 acres (they don't go that far) which includes a barn, pasture fields, yard, and woods.

I can post pics of the coop and chickens if it helps. Thanks for your thoughts!

2. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

Are you free rangeing your hens?
    If yes, could be that you are releasing them too early.... like before they get around to laying their egg of the day. My hens generally lay 1 - 2 hours after the morning ration of layer feed.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    You could be letting them out too early, maybe they're laying eggs somewhere else. They also could still be stressed from the move, or the stress of moving could have forced them into a moult. Good luck!

4. julnjake

Aug 20, 2011
    SW PA
    Yes they are free range. Today I kept them in until 4:00 but didn't get any more eggs.

5. Twiggers96

Twiggers96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2011
    Arcadia, FL
    I have 2 EE and they just started laying (couple of weeks now). Their eggs are almost twice as large as my leghorn's eggs.
    This is normal for my EE's.
    The EE's lay light cream/pinkish eggs.

6. julnjake

Aug 20, 2011
    SW PA
    Quote:How old are they?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by