7 hens who need layer feed and one rooster...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by the510flock, Jan 3, 2014.

1. the510flock

the510flock Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2013
    Richmond, Ca
    I have 3 5mo old hens that just started laying this month, 4 older hens i just adopted that arent laying rite now, and a 5mo old rooster... i provide them all now with farmers best grower feed along with oyster shells but its time to buy a new bag of food and i know the girls should be getting layer pellets/feed but what should I do about my rooster? Isnt there too much calcium in the layer feed for his body?

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Your laying birds don't "have" to have layer feed. There's nothing magical about it, pretty much the only difference from what you're feeding now is less protein and more calcium. If you're already offering oyster shell or egg shells, you're good to just stay like you are. I feed an all-in-one type feed to everyone, I've always got various ages of both genders. My laying hens lay great, no shell issues. Feeding this way just makes life simpler for me. I'm all for simple!

1 person likes this.
  3. the510flock

the510flock Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2013
    Richmond, Ca
    Thanks so much, i was hoping that was going to be a solution lol yea the eggs ive been getting have had nice hard shells and in great condition.thanks for the advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by