1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

7 lb cat vs. bantam cochin (funny) **update** 4-21-12

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Lucysmom002, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Lucysmom002

Lucysmom002 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Just had to share this video of my little broody. She keeps stealing eggs and protecting them like nobody's business. The cat made the mistake of coming into the coop. Poor kitty.
    I think little CocoaPuff needs some fertile eggs.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  2. peepacheep

peepacheep Chillin' With My Peeps

The poor cat will think twice about entering the coop for sometime! I was trying to break a broody Speckled Sussex last summer and set her out in the yard. She took her frustrations out on my 70 pound Lab. The dog was totally baffled but very good with the grumpy hen. The phrase mad as a wet hen is nothing compared to mad as a broody hen!

3. LOL CUTE!

We had a wyandotte go broody, Bull Head, she would hiss and growl but wouldnt really bite, that is until a poor turkey stuck his head in by her...

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    CocoPuff is my kind of gal! Bless her heart, give her an egg to hatch. Just one. She deserves to have a little chicky peeping under those wings of courage.

5. Lucysmom002

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I'm going to get a couple fertile eggs from my neighbor today. I also have a tiny white wyandotte and a big black cochin that are broody! ughghgh!

She is a little sweety. She climbs up our leg if sitting in a chair and goes all the way up to the shoulder. They sure are funny!
    I"ve never had so much entertainment around here until I got my chickens and my turkey!

6. Lucysmom002

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I gave my 3 broodies each a fertile egg. 21 days to countdown!

7. theoldchick

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

8. Lucysmom002

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    and 21 days later....more then likely the egg came from a big red hen, possibly a red star or red sex link? And, the only rooster around is a big red one too. What kind of chick do you think it is? Boy or girl (based on color )

Little miss broody aka Jazmine, is very happy with her baby and very protective. :)

OH and Cocoa Puff (chicken in the video) had 2 eggs that were no good.. she's still broody.. UGHGHGH

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  9. theoldchick

May 11, 2010
    Poor Puff! Give her another egg.

Congrats on the one that hatched. I love to watch nature at work.

10. Lucysmom002

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Me too. Jazzy is a good mommy. The baby is eating and drinking with her. It's amazing how smart chickens are!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by