7 little chickens

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Ahava, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Ahava

Ahava Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2011
    NC
    My family and I are new to chicken ownership but we're loving it! We got the bug when researching how to live more sustainably and how to create a backyard habitat. Who knew it would be so much fun to have fertilizer-manufacturing natural pest control??!

Our young ladies are Lucy Pearl (a Silver Laced Wyandotte), Curious (a Salmon Faverolles), Belle (a black Amaracauna), Sweetheart (a Buff Brahma), Kinsey (an Easter Egger), Seraph (a blue Amaracauna), and Hope (a Buff Laced Polish) - all pictured below. Interestingly, one of the smaller chickens - Seraph, standing in the foreground - is establishing herself as the ruler of the roost. She's smaller than all but one (the Brahma), has been slower to grow than the others, and she aggressively asserts herself by fluttering slightly upward and using her feet on the others in a manner I formerly only associated with roosters (yeah, mostly a city girl here).

Seraph is definitely a she, and she's got everyone, including the much bigger girls, under control. It's very interesting to watch. No one is picking feathers or pecking (or scratching) to draw blood yet, so no worries for now. One of the cutest things to me is how they each get upset if they are separated from the rest of the flock. My son isn't fond of this behavior - he'd have one in the house with him all the time if it wasn't so distressing for the separated chicken. ~chuckle~ Truth be told, I would too. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Cute chicks. [​IMG] I love little chickies. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Ahava

Ahava Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2011
    NC
    Oh, chicken poo! I just realized that I put this in the wrong place. Is there a way to move it myself so that I don't have to bother the mods?

4. S.L.Swope

S.L.Swope Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    San Antonio
    Nest time try taking two at a time inside that way they have a buddy. They squak a bit a first but calm down soon enough. I've had mine for a few weeks and when recently I had to wash one's bottom (pasty butt) I brought a friend along to make the seperation more comfortable for all [​IMG]

5. Ahava

Ahava Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2011
    NC
    No, I'm sorry. I meant that I put this thread in the wrong area. It should go upstairs with the chicken stuff instead of down here in family life.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by