7 Males/4 Females...?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by redhen, Jul 31, 2010.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Not a good ratio is it??
    Do i have to get rid of some of my drakes? [​IMG]

2. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    No, you could get 7 more hens. [​IMG]

If you don't want to add more ducks then yes, you are going to probably need to get rid of some of your drakes, at least 3. It would be better to have only 3 or less drakes for 4 hens. Sorry. [​IMG]

3. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Darn.. I hatched these little buggers. [​IMG]
    *sigh*

4. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Quite honest I would reduce it to one drake. Two tops. You will be much happier with the groups behavior, not to mention the food you save on. I had 13 with 5 drakes. Rehomed 4 drakes and the groups dynamic is so nice right now. The one drake is so sweet to all the girls, since there is no competition at all. They are a sweetest family you have ever seen.

5. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Yeah... thats what i'll have to do... [​IMG]
    I hope i can even find homes for them though.. [​IMG]

6. jrobertson

jrobertson Robertson's Rare Poultry

Apr 24, 2010
    NW Alabama
    never reduce your flock to one lone drake if you want to raise ducks. i've learned this the hard way. the ratio is a good one but if the lone drake dies or is sterile(not likely) you could find yourself scrambling to find a replacement. i always keep two or more drakes of each breed. obviosly the best looking ones. even if you have to build a bachelor pen, it is worth it when something unexpected happens to your drake.

7. katharinad

I agree to keep an extra one when it comes to breeding. I personally plan on hatching more next year, and that means I will bring in bird eggs from another breeding stock. Same breed just another gene pool.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Buy more hens-lots more! You of all people know that those drakes won't be happy living anywhere else.[​IMG]

9. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:I know... [​IMG] But i have a small yard.. So i"ll have to downsize... not get more. [​IMG]
    Its hard because they are so attached to their buddies... I hate to seperate them. [​IMG]
    Want a duck?? [​IMG]

10. katharinad

Yes, they are attached to each other, but I can assure you they will do the same with another family. I've dropped mine 4 off at another duck place where they will become breeding stock and they wasted no time checking out the new ladies. It's sad to part, but it is also fun to make new friends.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by