7 mnth old cockerells stopped crowing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chuckEboy, Jan 2, 2015.

1. chuckEboy

chuckEboy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2014
    I have 3 BLR cockerells who free range. For the last week they have stopped crowing. At first it was some crowing then eventually none at all. They don't seem sick. They still come meet me when I go outside and strut in front of me. I have handled them lots since I got them so I can pretty much catch them at will and even just pet them some times. RED meets me on the porch every morning but no crowing. My pullets have never started laying yet. Is this normal with the weather change or should I be worried? I miss hearing them. They were crowing all the time. It's funny to watch them because Red is the boss and usually leads then Srg brings up the rear while the crow back and forth and if any pullets stray off Jr usually stays with them. I would post some pics but can't seem to upload them from my phone. If you read my recent thread I also have a pullet that had started crowing and this was around the time the boys started slowing up with there crowing. She has also stopped crowing now.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Did you ever end up successfully posting a photo of the "pullet"? The fact that that bird began crowing and the boys slowed down have me leaning heavily towards your pullet being a cockerel coming into his own and the three others becoming subordinate in the flock, which will lead to them being less inclined to crow (crowing challenges the dominant rooster, after all).

3. chuckEboy

Nov 22, 2014
    [​IMG]
    I never could get the pic to upload. For some reason it will not let me from my phone. What you said about them stopping because of the pullet crowing makes since but the SLW pullet that started crowing is about 3 mnths younger than my BLRWs and Red runs everyone in the yard. My BLR pullets even run the SL pullets off feed or whatever they deem to be important. If I saw her being dominant I would think that might be the case. I am gonna put the pics on my pc and see if I can upload them that way. I see nothing leading me to beleive she is a he lol.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  4. chuckEboy

Nov 22, 2014
    I was able to upload through my computer. the pic in the last post was the SL next to Srg and you can see one of my BLR pullets also. There is definitely a size and maturity difference in them. I will attach a pic of the SL together to this post.1st pic the crower is on left. 2nd pic crower is bottom bird.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. chuckEboy

Nov 22, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I went out to take pics just now and crowed to call them to the porch. They all came running but as I talked to them and held a couple I hear like they are congested even a couple pullets.

6. chuckEboy

Nov 22, 2014
    Ok I am starting to panick because I habe been searching and stumbled across some threads covering dry/wet pox. I don't want to loose my chickens. I have noticeced some sppts on the roosters combs. They all seem to eat and drink and run around. If they have this whay do I do?

7. chuckEboy

Nov 22, 2014
    I am pretty sure my birds have wet pox. Does this mean I am gonna loose them? Please give me some tips to try and save them! I am so upset. We have been raisong them since they were 7 days old and are very attached. I dont think seperating them will help because I think they all have it.17 birds total.

8. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Could it be a respiratory ingection? When my birds had a upper respiratory infection, I put Duramycin-10 in the water and they where fine.

I'm not familiar with wet pox, sorry.

You might want to post a three on the emergencies/diseases/cures section, Goodluck.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  9. chuckEboy

Nov 22, 2014
    Thanks so much!!

10. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Your welcome, hope your flock gets better :).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by