7 mo. old hen lethargic with yellow diarrhea

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenchok, Apr 19, 2009.

1. chickenchok

chickenchok Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2008
    North Carolina
    2 days ago I noticed our 7 month old welsummer walking slowly, then sitting in one place for long periods of time. The couple of days before this, she started going in and out of the nesting boxes often (for her first time), but didn't lay anything. She's been drinking but not eating for at least 2 days. She had poo caked below her vent, which I cleaned off. I also rubbed oil around her vent in case she's eggbound. I noticed light yellow diarrhea the past day and a half where she's been sitting.

She has laid 1 soft shell egg (4 days ago), then her very first hard shell egg (3 days ago) (I found it below the roost broken in the morning, so I think it surprised her).

We gave her some sugar water hoping to pep her up. She won't eat anything.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  2. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    She does sound like she may be eggbound.

Use the search feature to find "eggbound" threads. There are a lot
    of them that discuss this topic.

Make sure she is getting enough calcium by giving your hens
    some oyster shell. This won't cure her now but may help other birds.

3. chickenchok

Sep 6, 2008
    North Carolina
    She's still not doing well, sitting in one place. Now I cannot get her to drink OR eat. I cannot feel an egg from the outside. Her vent is not swollen or red. I massaged it w/ vaseline, just in case. I did give her a little ACV in water this morning which she drank. Should I try giving her some Terramycin? If so, how much do I measure out such a small amount and know how to mix it? I have it in powder form. I'm wondering if it's something contagious like Mareks and if I should separate her. She was vaccinated for Marek's as a day old chick. But I read that it's not so effective that young.

I hope we don't lose her tonight. She's our favorite and soooo sweet.

Thank you!

4. emilyweck

emilyweck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Eugene, Oregon
    Here's a bump! Good luck!

5. chickenchok

Sep 6, 2008
    North Carolina
    She seems to be going downhill. Still lots of yellow liquid poo. she won't eat or drink now. I gave her some sugar water and terramycin in an eye dropper. Anyone? Anyone?

6. chickenchok

Sep 6, 2008
    North Carolina
    she just drank a little water w/ some more terramycin in it (since I can't find a good measure for a tiny amount of water, I'm just sprinkling a little into a small dish). Any advice?

7. emilyweck

emilyweck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Eugene, Oregon
    For some reason people aren't responding to this thread. Maybe you should start another one with a different title to get more attention. Good luck.

8. chickenchok

Sep 6, 2008
    North Carolina
    thanks for the bumps, Emily [​IMG] i'll try it! i'm worried.

9. dave27889

dave27889 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Washington, NC
    I have a production rir doing something simular. I moved her to another pen away from the other hens. I tried getting help at another site and only got 60 looks and no replies. I have done the same thing as you have and mine still eats very little but does drink. I don't know if the antibotics are helping or not. None of my other chickens seem to be ill at all. They in fact are doing really well and laying like crazy. I wish I felt as good as they seem to be. Good luck and I hope she improves soon. I know you feel helpless. PM me if you need someone to talk with. Good luck, dave27889

10. chickenchok

Sep 6, 2008
    North Carolina
    Awe, thanks for the encouragement, dave27889! It must just be one of those chicken mysteries. I guess we're doing all we can right now. It just stinks that she's my favorite! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by