7 month hen not standing.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hamptoncourt, Jan 17, 2017.

1. hamptoncourt

hamptoncourt Just Hatched

Jan 17, 2017
    She was found today on the coop floor. I gave her food and water and a 20 minute soak. I checked for a bound egg, felt nothing. She deficated but will not stand. She one of 13 all treated for marek disease. Any ideas?

2. hamptoncourt

Jan 17, 2017
    [​IMG]

3. hamptoncourt

Jan 17, 2017
    She's been quarantined in the garage.

4. hamptoncourt

Jan 17, 2017
    HELP

5. welshbird

welshbird New Egg

Dec 29, 2016
    Henllan, North Wales.
    Is she eating and drinking ok? Any sign of damage? My hen went down like this and she had broken her pelvis!

6. hamptoncourt

Jan 17, 2017
    Thx for responding. She did eat and drink after I noticed her. When I picked her up, she did not make a sound nor did I feel anything weird.

7. welshbird

welshbird New Egg

Dec 29, 2016
    Henllan, North Wales.
    Mine didn't make a noise when I picked her up either and I couldn't feel any abnormality. This happened on Christmas Eve so I couldn't get her to a vet until after the holidays. The vet basically checked for a pain response (which was a leg quiver when upright) and packed me off home with some Metacam and not very much hope. She's still with me and standing now. She's eating, drinking and enjoying the luxury of my spare bedroom! Little diva! I thought it was Marek Disease when I first found her!

Is she sitting straight? Able to stand or leaning to one side?......... Joanne.

8. hamptoncourt

Jan 17, 2017
    She is mostly sitting. Not standing yet.ill post an update tomorrow.thx for your experience and Drs. Solutions. I'll check her limbs and joints.

9. hamptoncourt

Jan 17, 2017
    Update: feed her electrolyte and probiotics yesterday. No real improvement. I think it's Marek's.

10. welshbird

welshbird New Egg

Dec 29, 2016
    Henllan, North Wales.
    [​IMG] Every chicken owners nightmare!!! I'm so sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by