1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

7 Month Muscovy - Hen or Drake?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by aoxa, Apr 11, 2012.

1. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

So I've had Macy since November (at 2 months old) and she is now 7 months old (or around that), but still hasn't laid any eggs. She is also a little bossy with my roosters and hates my broodies. Could Macy be a boy? Please tell me it isn't so! I really don't want to have a drake in with my chickens :( [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Here she is next to a 5.5 week old chick for size comparison (chick is Easter egger) [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I haven't heard any hissing. She does strange motions with her wings out and her tail wags and her head is stretched and back.. Kind of looks like a mating dance to me.. But I really don't know anything about ducks. I am more on the chicken side of things. I really do love Macy though.. I don't want to have to re-home her.

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Looks like a hen to me.. by 7mths she should quack for sure.. can you get her too? i have one you grab her and she honks like a bike horn.. (not grabbing in a rough manner btw) Bossy doesn't mean much some hens just are.. the one i have sitting on a nest right now is a real firecracker!

She is really lovely~

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  3. aoxa

She used to make quack sounds when I'd catch her, but she is a bugger to catch.. She makes kind of purring sounds. She is VERY quiet. :p

Also she is very clean, unlike my two 4 month old khaki campbells :p

Oh and are her caruncles on track for a female? She just seems to have a lot to me.. Am I just paranoid?

4. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    well if she quacks, she is a she lol Drakes do NOT quack.. they hiss and there are some other noises but none would ever be mistaken for quack.. I have had 4 Muscovy drakes (still have 3) hens makes this trilling sound.. i had one of my hens doing this morning.. it's quite sweet sounding actually.

5. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Oh and as for the laying.. i bought a trio of hens last summer and they were 6mths at the time they only starting laying in the winter lol not right away.

6. aoxa

Are there any signs of laying in the near future? Chickens squat.. What do ducks do? lol

She just seems really moody lately. She's easily annoyed by the chickens (especially the roosters) If the roosters get in a scuffle, she will join in. My hens have higher rank than her, so she only really fights with my broody.

7. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    None that i have seen or perhaps noticed.. my first pair of hens shocked me with starting at 4mths old! Her caruncles appear fine to me.. especially for 7mths... I'll grab you a pic of a pair of mine.. hang on BB

Here is a pic from mine first group at this point they had just turned 5mths.. Early May hatch... Left it large on purpose.. drake on the right, hen on the left.

I'll keep trying cannot get picture to load... ugh this new format gives me such fits![​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally worked! argh! anyhow you'll see her flesh is quite obvious, i have some who it's not as much so...

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    What a pretty girl, I'd say she is probably getting close to laying, probably has alot to do with her mood. lol
    She reminds me alot of mine this is Hope and she is 7 months old here
    [​IMG][​IMG]my drake at 6 months

9. aoxa

She does look just like her!

Thank you, that makes me feel a lot better.

10. aoxa

I can't get her to quack when I pick her up anymore. :/ Anyone else agree that I have a hen and not a drake?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by