7 month old Australorp hasn't started laying yet!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nola_chickens, Apr 10, 2011.

1. nola_chickens

nola_chickens New Egg

Jul 19, 2010
    Hey there. I have a 7 mo Australorp, Ostrich, and a 7 mo Golden-Laced Wyandotte, Sophie. Sophie started laying last month, but Ostrich still hasn't started! What gives? They're the same age exactly.
    Also, Ostrich recently started pecking at the wooden fence. Any ideas about this odd behavior?

2. cherrychicken

cherrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Have you considered the possibility that Ostrich is a rooster?

3. ChicksOnBikes

ChicksOnBikes Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2011
    my chickens peck at anything out of the ordinary, or even stuff that is ordinary. Any speck on the wall of the coop, inside or out, might be worth a peck. they are also currently trying to excavate under the fence. go figure.
    I second cherrychicken, she might be a he. is "she" noisier? it might be cock-a-doodling or not quite. i think there's a forum you can post pictures.
    good luck!

4. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    You could post a picture right on this thread to see if you like but you probably have nothing to worry about. If she isn't crowing at 7 months, she is probably a she. Sometimes they just take longer to mature. I have Ameraucanas that didn't lay until they were 9 to 10 months old. They are all definitely girls because they did finally lay. Just a little patience grasshopper [​IMG]

5. katie a

katie a Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2010
    Quote:I'm actually glad to hear this (I think). We are starting to wonder if our Ameraucana is a "he" because she is 6.75 months old and still not laying. Is this a breed known for late laying?

6. nola_chickens

nola_chickens New Egg

Jul 19, 2010
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ostrich is a little more aggressive than Sophie is. Could it be?!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  7. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    The last batch of chickens I raised took a little over a year to star laying, and I've got a few that are 14 months and still not laying. I heard the same from a lot of people last year who bought hatchery chicks--the hatchery chicks didn't seem to be right, they were not laying...but ones hatched at home from local eggs started laying right on time.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Well, that bird is a hen, and from the nice red comb I'd think she's laying. Does she free range? Have you gone on an egg hunt or kept her confined for a few days? If she's not hiding her eggs now, she'll start laying very soon.

9. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    I agree with donrae. She's definitely a hen. And a beautiful one at that.
    What kind of feed do you have her on? Layer ration? Does she free range? Maybe she needs a little more protein in her diet. Or she could be hiding them on you. [​IMG]
    Give it a little more time. No need to start worrying yet. If she's anything like my girls, you'll know when she has laid an egg. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by