7 month old broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jrudolph305, May 25, 2010.

1. jrudolph305

jrudolph305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2009
    Meadows of Dan, Va
    Our 7 month old partridge rock all of a sudden seems to be broody. She will sit in a nest box for hours with no egg in it. There will be an egg in the next box but she doesn't sit on it. If I try to get her out of the nesting box she will peck at me and not move. Should I continue to try and scoot her? She does get out to eat snacks but will go back in and nest. How long will this last and will she quit laying for awhile? We only have 3 hens.

2. SuziQ991

SuziQ991 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Missouri
    If she is sleeping on the nest at night instead of roosting that is a sure sign. If you want chicks you could put fertilized eggs under her (once you are sure she is broody). If not then you can try to break her from being broody. Put her in a cage with wire only on the bottom. The idea is getting air flow under her. If she is broody she will not lay eggs.

3. jrudolph305

Dec 1, 2009
    Meadows of Dan, Va
    Thanks. How long will she stay broody and not lay??

4. jrudolph305

Dec 1, 2009
    Meadows of Dan, Va
    Forgot to ask do I leave her in a cage 24 hours a day and for how long?

5. SuziQ991

SuziQ991 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Missouri
    From what I remember, leave her in the cage 2 or 3 days.

6. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Hens vary vastly in how long they will stay broody. 3-4 days with a cold floor under her should do. I have had hens who have this 'treatment', then lay for a few days, then go broody again.Broodiness is triggered by a hormonal change in the hen which does not always just switch off. A dog crate or similar is ideal for the 'cold turkey' or (should that be cold hen?) treatment
    Sandie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by