7 month old Buff Oorpington gone broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hickchick mamma, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Hickchick mamma

Hickchick mamma New Egg

Dec 10, 2013
    Town of Moreau, NY
    I have 6 Buff Oorpingtons that are 7 months old. One of the girls seems to have gone broody last week. It's December and I live in upstate NY...I can not get fertilized eggs for her to hatch and I have tried putting her in a dog crate during the day for the past 2 days but she goes right back into the nesting box. What can I do for her and will she cause the other girls to go broody? We were getting 5 to 6 eggs per day and for the past few days we are only getting 3 eggs each day.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It can be difficult to break a broody hen of broodieness. You may just have to let her stop being broody on her own, in her own time. I haven't had much luck getting my birds to stop being broody.

Broodiness, in my experience, isn't "contagious". I usually only have one broody bird at a time. So, I doubt that your broody Orpington will cause all of your birds to be broody.

If you want her to stop being broody, you can try putting her in a wire-bottomed cage. This, apparently, can make a bird not broody, as it isn't very comfortable to be sitting on wire all day.

Unfortunately, if a hen decides to really go broody, there isn't much you can do, except wait her out.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    2 days just isn't long enough to break her from being broody, and she needs to be where she can't get to any sort of nest area. A wire bottom cage is best, hanging or elevated off the ground, day and night. Feed, water and a roost, but no nesting materials or nest box. She's not laying eggs, so none is needed. 3-5 days is the average time to break a broody, just be more persistent than she is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by