7 month old Cayuga drake refusing food - cross posted

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by hearthofthehome, Jan 16, 2019.

1. hearthofthehome

hearthofthehome In the Brooder

Jan 16, 2019
    Hello, I posted this in the "illness" forum but was advised to post in the ducks forum. . . .
    I am looking for advice/reassurance. Two days ago when our daughter went out to care for the ducks, our 7 month old Cayuga drake seemed to have dried snot on his head and neck (we imagined from shaking his head) and was not interested in food and drinking copiously. We brought him into our garage in a "nursery pen" we have set up and he drank and drank. We tried to interest him in food but he just stood staring at his water bucket. We had him to the vet and she took a stool sample and tested for "parasites common to ducks" (I don't have a list), and said he was negative, to try to get him interested in food and watch him. His normal feed is Purina flock raiser crumbles and he was getting some peanuts before bed as a treat. We recently introduced a bowl of oyster shell to the females as one of them has started laying and he has tasted that. Since he's been in the garage we have put electrolyte/vitamins in his water. We have been able to get him to eat romaine lettuce, and small bits of some random vegetables, carrot shavings, cubed zucchini, peas, cooked corn, tiny bit of oatmeal, but mostly he wants the lettuce. He won't eat his crumbles. He turns his head away. I tried wetting and pureeing it but no luck. He is pooping now. No blood. So at this point it has been about 2 days plus 4 hours since we discovered him sick. We haven't seen any snot since the first day and he is otherwise behaving normally, he communicates and is active. Normally he lives outdoors, has access to a duck house in which he is enclosed at night, and a largish run outside with a water source (a small pond). We tried bringing him out to his friends this morning to see if it would get him interested in eating but he still wouldn't. I am preparing to call the vet again. We do have a syringe and will try feeding him this way. Any ideas what's wrong with him? How to get him to eat his normal feed?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia John 3:16

The vet didn't check him over at all? Does he sound raspy when he breathes? shavings or bedding good and dry no mold? As for eating if your taking him back to the vet have them show you how to tube feed. usually once you tube feed a few times they get their appetite back as long as they aren't deathly sick. How did he act around the other ducks was he happy to be back with them? Welcome to BYC

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    casportpony and quackiemama like this.
  3. hearthofthehome

Jan 16, 2019
    Thanks. Yes, she did give him an exam and didn't find anything out of the ordinary. She listened to his breathing and said his lungs sound good. My daughter keeps his area pretty clean and we don't put water in his house. He doesn't sound raspy that I can tell. Would that indicate a respiratory infection? He did enjoy seeing the other ducks.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Can you post some poop pictures and a video of him? To post video, upload to YouTube or Vimeo, then copy/paste the link here.

Since he's not eating, you might want to start weighing him daily.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  5. hearthofthehome

Jan 16, 2019
    Poop pic

Attached Files:

6. hearthofthehome

Jan 16, 2019

The bowl of white stuff is a little yogurt we offered to him but he tasted it it only. My daughter is his favorite person. He has been wanting out of the pen and has been spreading his wings when we come out. I called the vet and they said to try a different food and/ or purée his food and add apple juice. I have layer pellets for our chickens I can offer him. I do definitely hear him breathing but I would not say it’s raspy. Thanks so much for the attention. I am grateful.

Miss Lydia and casportpony like this.
  7. casportpony

The poop looks a little greener than I am used to seeing, but that could be from him eating plants.

Can you call the vet and ask about doing a gram stain of his poop and from a nasal swab to check for an overgrowth of bacteria and/or yeast?

Miss Lydia likes this.
  8. hearthofthehome

Jan 16, 2019
    The vet will be in on Friday and is supposed to call me. I can try a different vet it I should do this sooner.

Miss Lydia and casportpony like this.
  9. casportpony

Do you have a scale to weigh him on? If not, can you go to a Walmart or target and get a food scale?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: