7 month old chicken? or Rooster? or what???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mister Fluffy-kins, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Mister Fluffy-kins

Mister Fluffy-kins New Egg

May 13, 2011
    I have 2 Rhode Island reds. We purchased them "sexed" as hens. One has always been bigger and I believe crowed this morning. I hear dominant females can act this way, but I would like to be certain. I am trying to upload a picture. These hens are about 7 months old and would have thought he/she would have started this earlier.

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    dominat hens may crow but if you want us to sex them for you then yea the pics would help [​IMG]

also you need about 10 post to post pics as well unless you want to send them to me and then i can put them on for you

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  3. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Might be different if you have a photobucket account, but I'm not sure. You can go the the greeting page or find some threads to comment on. Roosters crow at different ages and it mostly just depends on the rooster. Yes, hens can crow, have spurs, have thick legs, and have other behaviors that roosters have.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  4. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Roosters can crow at any time - there is no "set age" by which they're guaranteed to start.

They should look very different at this point if one is a roo and one is a hen. A picture will help... look for pointy feathers at the base of the tail and base of the neck, as well as much larger comb and wattles. These are indicative of a rooster.

5. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    Quote:yes you can use photobucket to put the pics up before your 10 post i think

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by