1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

7 month old chicken straining and puffy vent.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bouldensamantha, Feb 4, 2015.

1. bouldensamantha

bouldensamantha New Egg

Oct 1, 2014
    I went out with the chickens today and one of the chickens was hunched in an area they had scratched up and looks like a nest. After a couple mins she walked away and about half an hour later was doing the same thing. I checked the vent and it was puffier than normal but doesn't appear to have prolapse. I also felt inside and there didn't seem to be anything. We have two chickens we got in the fall and neither has laid an egg yet. Could this just be her getting ready to lay an egg or something more urgent?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It looks like a slight prolapse, but she could be egg bound. I would put on a rubber glove, and insert a lubricated finger 1-2 inches inside to feel for a stuck egg. If you feel an egg, give her a calcium tablet or tums orally, and place her in a warm humid area such as a spare bathroom with heat up and the shower on. Keep a close eye on her to see if she passes an egg.

3. bouldensamantha

bouldensamantha New Egg

Oct 1, 2014
    I have checked and didn't feel anything

4. bouldensamantha

bouldensamantha New Egg

Oct 1, 2014
    would she be squatting from prolapse?

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Since her cloaca is partly visible, she is probably straining for some reason, either from being constipated or from a blockage, or from having an egg inside. I might bring her inside and cage her overnight, so that you can watch her droppings or look for an egg. When hens first start laying they can commonly pass soft shelled eggs, or some with a small blood smear. And they can act peculiar with that first egg. Hopefully, that is all it is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by