7 month old hen acting unusual

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Earl Barfoot, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Earl Barfoot

Earl Barfoot New Egg

Jan 4, 2017
    Hi I just joined BYC I have read some of your threads on mereks disease also seen some posts on wry neck, I have a henshe is now 7 months old, I brought her into the house because I had 5 hy-bred meat birds in the coop and they were abusing her ( they were all roosters ) when I had the hy-breds processed I moved her back to the coop the two barrock roosters tried to kill her so I took her back out she is in a cage in my house. History ( I had 5 hy-bred meat birds they were called bonnie heavy reds when you get the chicks they are not sexed I ended up with 5 roosters, I also got 5 barrock pullets they wer to be sexed I ended up with 2 roosters ) anyways I would say it was the first or just after October I noticed one hen not on the roost in the coop she stayed by herself in the comer on the floor but when it came time throwing food out in the run she was with them getting her share, now probably in the 3rd week or 4th week of november I caught the meat birds being aggressive with her so I took her out of the coop the meat birds were processed November 27, 2016 after I put the hen back into the coop ( same day ) the 2 barrock roosters tried to kill her so I put her in a cage in the house now she started showing issues ( I would like to say mental problems ) her head between her legs while standing up that sort of thing I had feed and water in with her and I thought she was eating but turns out just bobbing her head almost like she was blind eventually she just lied down and didnt move ( she was alaways unsteady on her feet in the coop as well in the cage ) I would give her water thru syringe and tried to feed her with spoon she would maybe eat a teaspoon a day. I knew that wasn't enough and found tube feeding on this site I've been doing that now since December 24th it is now January 5th. I'm feeding her crumble ( 18% protein ) made into a mush in warm water which I add poul-vit to a rather high dose it is suppose to be put in water, I had her on Neo-Chlor for 7 days but it did nothing. when I was spoon feeding she would not open her eyes and would not stand she is now ( since starting tube feeding ) opens her eyes when I feed her stands but falls over but uses wings to get back up but her head swirl still exists I wposted pictures and videos to get your opinion whats going on I don't think it's mereks shes been this way to long I think. Oh yes you will see a picture with her feet in the air she sleeping videos are at , this is when she was sort of functioning ,

Please let me know what you think it is.

Earl
    ththe air she looks dead she was actually sleeping.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome to BYC

Your girl looks very ill, can you take her to a vet?

It looks like she may not be able to see?

Possibly a neurological/developmental disorder. Marek's can present in various ways - paralysis of wings/legs, torticollis (wry neck), blindness (difficulty seeing), going off feed, etc (link below).

Continue to keep her hydrated and tube fed. Make sure your poultry vitamins has Vitamin E and Selinium.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  3. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    Welcome to BYC

Sorry you and your hen are going through this. Some of those symptoms do remind me of wryneck. I believe you're supposed to treat wryneck with extra protein in the food and water. It takes a long time to heal wryneck. I would take her to a vet though.

4. Earl Barfoot

Earl Barfoot New Egg

Jan 4, 2017
    no vets in my area that tend to birds

5. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    That's ok. You should look more into treating wryneck and see what you can do for her.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would agree with Wyorp Rock that it looks like a neurological problem, possibly Mareks or wry neck from the attacks. Sometimes other chickens will attack another that is having symptoms, but it sounds like too many cockerels that were abusing her. I think time may tell which prolem you are seeing. If she shouldn't make it, I would suggest getting a necropsy done by your state vet. If you see any others having symptoms, then it could be Mareks.

7. Earl Barfoot

Earl Barfoot New Egg

Jan 4, 2017
    January 16th she still pretty much the same no balance keeps twisting her head and neck, only difference is she stands a bit more I'm still tube feeding and water thru a syringe.

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Neurological syptoms can be very frustrating, not knowing if or when they will get better, or fo certain what caused them, injury or illness. It's good to hear that she is standing more. Thank you for the update, and I hope that you will see more improvement soon.

9. Earl Barfoot

Earl Barfoot New Egg

Jan 4, 2017
    February 1, 2017 another update on Bernedette I was tube feeding her up to about a week and a half to two weeks ago then I stopped she went thru 3 - 4 bouts of aspirating the last time she aspirated approximately half the food I put in her crop I said that was enough ( especially when she can't breathe not to mention I wore the mush as well as my computer, desk and of course floor and one wall. )

I started just feeding her mush from a dish she would take a little bit but I would keep putting it under her nose so she would take more and I would give her water super shocked with poul-vite and selenium using a syringe. ( the idea was she would eat or gradually fade away but I wasn't going to keep tube feeding if it meant she would suffer because her airway getting blocked off and couldn't breathe ) I would also try getting her to drink straight water from a little dish as well.

Well after a few days was no change just a little food maybe couple little beak full, so I tried giving her the crumb dry again couple little beak full, so at night after work I try hand feeding her several times just to make sure she gets something and she gets at least 2 syringe full of super shock vitamin water.

She is now she is more aggressively eating from the dish I hold for her ( crumb ) she drinks most of the vitamin water and drinks a little regular water from a dish that I hold for her.

She is standing more eats and drinks with her eyes open now and keeps them open more often now cause before they were closed pretty much 100% of the time, and I was told by my daughter today after work she was walking ( slowly and still balance issues ) one side to the other of her cage.

Now she still does the funky neck and head thing ( but when eating its ok for a while ) she is still unsteady ( but standing more and now trying to walk slowly ) I have noticed she is making noise ( before she would make no sound ) she coo's in that hen voice of hers it's a low tone coo as if to say i'm hungry or she is happy I'm not sure but she started cooing me when I got home tonight so I fed her and gave her more water and vitamin.

Now she is not back to norm yet don't know if she will ever be, but I think there is progress I'm not going to say she will survive but she is a lot better she still has the problems but maybe, hopefully they will subside and she gets around on her own.

It's been a long haul so far since I should have noticed something wrong back about October 2016 till now February 2017 so about 4 months now we will have to see what the next 4 months will bring.

1 person likes this.
  10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Well, that certainly sounds like she is getting better than 10 days ago. They can really surprise you when they seem to be one the brink of death, and start getting better. You must be so glad of her cooing. Hopefully the wry neck will eventually go away. Thank you for another update.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by