7 month old Hen not herself this morning..

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AChickenLoverProduction, Dec 7, 2011.

1. AChickenLoverProduction

AChickenLoverProduction Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2011
    San Antonio Texas
    My little Smudge is acting strange this morning. Here's the story. It dropped down into the 20's last night, so I put them in this good sized miniture coop with my silkie bantams. They snuggled up and kept pretty warm. I did this because I have a metal roosting pole, I know it's bad but I haven't gotten any adults help to improve my coop. So anyway, I went out to the coop to let them out and run around in their run. All the bantams and my two BO's jumped out. They all went and ate and drank water, digging in the dirt. Smudge took forever to hop from the coop. Once she did she landed wrong, her feet didn't even hold her up. She stumbled allitle off balance and walked to her hanging feeder. She struggled to get her neck extended to eat her food, once I sprinkled some pellets on the ground she /slowly/ attempted to eat them. She also had her feathers ruffled and out. I knew something was wrong. I have read lots on BYC and knew any sign of illness to seperate the bird from the rest of the flock. I quickly picked her up and ran over to my mother's home. (They live with my father, and I live two houses down. So I had to bring her to my mother's) I knew that I needed to get her a small amount of food, I asked my mother two cook her up a good scrambled egg. I placed it infront of her and she slowly ate some, she didn't even finish it. She would have normal gobbled it up like the hog she is. She isn't clucking, or growling like she does either. She is normally so energetic! I have her in a pretty good sized fish tank, with some food. She hasn't even made an attempt to hop out. She left a dropping on the ground and it look fairly normal, now Im waiting for any odd droppings. I just don't know what's wrong. Maybe she's cold? She is 7 months and has been squatting... she's not eggbound? Could she have a cold? If you could give me some suggestions that would be lovely! I'm worried about her.

Thanks.

2. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    I'm so so sorry to hear your baby is ill. I am of no help but maybe if I bump this someone with experience may have some ideas. Anyone???

3. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    You're a good chicken owner! Sounds like so far you've done all the right things! Have you wormed your chickens lately?? It sounds like she's losing her strength - like she has some sort of parasite. You mentioned a cold - does she have any discharge from her nose? Is she wheezing??

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Could she have had frozen feet? I hope they weren't on that metal pole

5. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    Is she laying? Has she stopped? If she's squatting and ill and seven months old... well... I would check her for eggbound and give her the warm bath and oiled little finger.. Search here... "eggbound".... you seem to pretty well know what's going on.. you are doing everything right. So.. read up real quick.. and treat her as if she is eggbound... if it's even a possibility.

Do you see any signs that someone was picking on her while they were all together? Or, is there a rooster in the bunch and could she have gotten a bit too much loving?

Sorry she is under the weather.. do hope she gets better quickly.

Take care and good luck.

6. AChickenLoverProduction

May 20, 2011
    San Antonio Texas
    Thanks everyone! She was not on the metal pole. I really with I had something that wouldn't be so fridged. But that is all I have, My coop needs alot of repairs that makes me on edge. But asking for an adults help is like pulling teeth! lol But anyway. She is doing better now, I think she was just cold. I brought her in and warmed her up. I can't keep her in the house forever. So I put her back in the coop. I hope she starts adjusting to the temp. of Texas winter.

Thanks!!!

7. Buff Oreo

Buff Oreo Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2011
    Iowa
    You seriously need to get a wooden pole inside. that could help. is there a heat lamp/ is it well insulated? also is smudge having her eyes half closed a lot? if so a definite sign of sickness. im not a vet, but good luck [​IMG]

8. AChickenLoverProduction

May 20, 2011
    San Antonio Texas
    I know what your telling me isn't news. I have told the adults that my coop needs alot of improvement. But with lack of money, and help... I can't do much. She isn't keeping her eyes shut, she's not fluffed up any more. But she is still slow, and not reacting very well. She walking alittle goofy, taking bigger steps. When she hops down from things she lands wrong. The parents are thinking Im crazy and paranoid, she is still acting slow. But not puffy out anymore. Don't know whats wrong really.

9. klmclain1

Mar 14, 2011
    Should be warmer tonight - I'm in El Paso.. can you find an old 2X4?? or even a piece of log instead of the metal pole. Mine have been happy before just being up on a piece of split-log (firewood). Anything that makes them feel off the ground.

Sorry your adults aren't more helpful.... I'm just really glad you're smart and caring and are on here looking for help and advice. Remember this experience when you have kids. We parents aren't perfect and mess up sometimes. Learn from our mistakes and do it better with your kids! But love them and respect them anyway..ok?

10. klmclain1

Mar 14, 2011
    Oh.. one other thing... if you can't find an alternative to the metal pole, do you have something you can cover it with? Like duct tape, or the cardboard roll from wrapping paper - just be sure to put that on with tape of some kind so it doesn't spin around on them. Might help until you can get something better!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by