7 month old hen stopped laying suddenly?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sillychicks123, Oct 7, 2013.

1. sillychicks123

sillychicks123 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2013
    I have one hen who is a japanese bantam/english game bird mix, who I have had for about a month or two. She is a very beautiful bird, and healthy from what I can understand. She is a rescue, so I don't know anything about her past or where she has been in the past. She started laying a couple of weeks ago, and used to lay one nearly every day-every two days. All of the sudden, I have noticed that last week she never laid a single egg. I was keeping a close eye on her over the weekend, and saw that she was in the hen house most of the time, but I'm not sure what because whenever she hears my door open she runs out and begs for treats. I am really scarred she has an egg stuck or broke in her vent. Could it be something else?

2. TNchickies

TNchickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2013
    Weird! Well, I am going to say that no, an egg is not broken inside of her tract. Her egg tract is near her spinal area, leading to the exit. If she has had a back injury, (which is rare,) or if she has been injured in some way, she may have had her tract damaged, which should heal itself, if not serious. Sometimes, if their food lacks protein, she will have trouble laying. Other times, she might not be getting enough sunlight. Believe it or not, chickens need sunlight in order to lay. Also, if it is dark or cold, her egg production may slow or stop until she gets enough sunlight or it warms up. when my hens first started laying, i got one a day, but sometimes, they would take a few days off. It's pretty normal if you ask me. If you know that your area doesn't have a lot of sunlight, you may want to install a light. Also, if you live in a cold area, you may want a heat lamp or a heater in with them. (Be careful using heaters and heat lamps, as they are sometimes a fire hazard and sometimes, can cause burns.) Hope this helps you out! [​IMG]

3. sillychicks123

sillychicks123 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2013

THANK YOU SO MUCH! We actually put up a tarp over the run because it was raining about two weeks ago, which has blocked off alot of the sun to their run. You have calmed my worries! I can finally relax!! :D

4. TNchickies

TNchickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2013
    YAY! [​IMG] i'm glad i could help you out! hope you get eggs soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by