7 month old hens not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Picabolab, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Picabolab

Picabolab New Egg

Oct 9, 2007
    Hi, I have two 7 month old hens - a Rhode Island Red and a Wyandotte. They are not laying yet and from everything I've read and heard, they should be laying during the fall and winter.

They hardly ever sit in their nesting boxes and roost on the ground.

We picked them up about 2 weeks ago and they seem to be settling in fine otherwise. Any thoughts on how to encourage egg production?

2. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    Put a golf ball in each nest - maybe that would help. [​IMG]

3. yankee

yankee Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2007
    My RIR, and barred rocks didn't begin laying until they were eight months. I hope you don't have to wait as long too.

4. Bamaman

Bamaman Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2007
    cullman and auburn, al
    Almost every laying age hen i have bought has taken 2-3 weeks before they start laying again. I have had one that only took a week. Their just getting over the stress of moving somewhere else.

5. hipmarye

hipmarye Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Mississippi
    I have 3 (one part Ameraucana and 2 part Cochin) I just got my first egg today at 26+ weeks. Just keep thinking positive.

6. MyCritterAddiction

MyCritterAddiction Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2017
    I have a RIR and a BR that will be 8 months old this September. They still have not started laying; and are not showing interest in the nesting boxes. I have two older hens that are laying in one of the boxes and the other two have golf balls in them. My rooster has even sat in the nesting boxes and acted like he was trying to lay; maybe to encourage them? I have had them since they were about 4 months old; so ready for them to start!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by