7 month old hens still not laying. Getting worried

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sienatiger, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Sienatiger

Sienatiger Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2014
    With the girls!
    My 7 month old wyandotte and brahma still haven't started laying. I am getting worried. My other RIR hen started laying a while ago. Thanks for any help!

2. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    They're still within the time frame for laying. I've heard 6-9 months depending on breed and time of year.
    I had some I bred myself laying in the 4-4.5 month range and just this week an EE I hatched June 6 started laying daily.
    Meanwhile nothing from the chanteclers I hatched on the same date and I purchased some marans and welsumers hatched April 28 which aren't laying yet but all the EE same age are. And their eggs are large.
    In deciding which of my own eggs to hatch I will be paying close attention to the age the mother started laying and how much she lays.

1 person likes this.
  3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Not all that surprising as 7 months is really not "late" for onset of production - especially for slower maturing breeds such as your birds (especially the brahma). Are you in a part of the world currently entering spring/summer or fall/winter? Time of year when they reach the expected age of maturity can influence whether their production begins on the early or late end of the"normal" spectrum. Are your birds hatchery or breeder stock? Hatchery birds are produced with production as primary focus whereas breeder birds are often a bit slower to enter production as that is not the primary/sole focus of the program producing them as it is with hatchery birds.

1 person likes this.
  4. LittleRedCoop53

LittleRedCoop53 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    Great idea.... i just got my first egg from one of my EE's ....a beautiful mint green/blue... "happy dance"
    i just went and got my calendar and looked up how old my two EE's and one BA are ...6 1/2 months....not too bad with day light hours going down, here in the NW.
    I just marked my calendar and made a note...i'm defiantly hatching from her ...besides she's gorgeous too. Thanks for bringing it to mind ~ Happy Holidays Everyone~

5. andreanar

andreanar Overrun With Chickens

May 16, 2014
    Upstate NY
    My girls are 8 months, my blr Wyandotte just laid a few days ago and my Brahma hasn't laid either. Im pretty sure Brahmas are slow to mature. But your Wyandotte must be close!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by