1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

7 month old hens still not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kaitie09, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    No idea what is going on. We live in southern Pa so it is cold here. They are all healthy, good weight, and they do sit in the nesting boxes, but none are broody. We have 4, 1 1/2 year olds that are laying, and we have tried keeping their eggs in longer, and there are golfballs in the most popular nesting boxes and we have tried the 12hr on, 12hr off lighting. The ones not laying are 2 Salmon Faverolles, a RIR, a NHR, an Australorp, a Black Jersey Giant, an EE, Buff Orpington, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Speckled Sussex, a Welsummer, and a Blue Andalusian.

2. shell25

shell25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Derbyshire
    Hi there i also have 2 7 month old chickens that upon till today no eggs, but today 1 of them laid one in our garden, quite suprised really as its pretty cold & raining today, mine to have been sitting in the nest box for weeks but nothing. Hopefully wont be too long for yours either.

3. helloroe

helloroe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2009
    Cetral FL
    I have had them go as old as 10 months before laying, sorry to say. The cold weather might have something to do with it as well but just as humans chickens mature differently. No on button at age 6 months.[​IMG]

4. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Could they be laying elsewhere and "hiding" the nest?

5. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
  6. ladybug99

ladybug99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    mine all started laying in the dead cold winter with three feet of snow on the ground....at 8 months....don't give up hope [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by