7 month old Leghorn broody or sick?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JRG, May 20, 2011.

1. JRG

JRG Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2009
    I have a 7 month old Leghorn that has always insisted on laying her egg in the goat pen in the corner. The last 2 days she has parked their all day. I picked her up last night thinking she might be sick or injured. She did not fight or fuss with my picking her up. She just sat in my hands with a far away look in her eye. Once one of my roosters saw her from the coop and started clucking to her, she perked up, started clucking and fussing and wiggling to get out of my arms. So I put her in the protected coop for the night. She's back in the goat pen today. I thought Leghorns are not the broody type, and do chickens go broody on top of one egg? I figured they would want a clutch to sit on. If she is broody, how can I convince her to sit on her egg in the protected coop?

Thanks for any info you guys can give!

JRG

2. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Quote:I believe she is broody and yes they will sit on one egg, they will even sit on an empty nest or golf balls. She most likely was sleeping last night when you got her and thats why, and the roo woke her up. I would get her, her own nesting box thats in the coop and put her in it with her eggs. So she will sit on them there. you can also lock her in the coop so she doesn't try and move back there and after she gets settled she will be good.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Moving her might break the broodiness. Leghorns don't usually go broody, no -- but that's chickens for you, nothing set in stone.

4. JRG

JRG Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2009
    Thanks for the info. I moved her into the coop this evening, with a little nest made on the floor in the corner (like in the goat pen). She sat there for a little bit, fussed at a silkie that came near and then got up, ate, drank, etc... I did not see her go back to the nest. oh yeah, and she didn't lay an egg today - weird. She was just sitting, on nothing. Poor thing. She seems aloof compared to the others.

I might try putting her in a dog crate in the chicken coop, with her own food and water and nest. I'm guessing she will let me know if she's changed her mind and would rather be ranging with the others - right?

Thanks guys!

JRG

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by