7 month old peacock being aggressive towards peahen

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Widlast, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Widlast

Widlast Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2016
    Maryland USA
    Hello all,

I have 3 males and 2 females, all hatched around mid June of 2016. Of the males, 2 are IB and 1 is a Spalding.
    Up until yesterday they had all been getting along just fine. The Spalding male was harassing one of the hens terribly,
    chasing her around and at times standing on her back. Are they still a bit young for attempted mounting?
    I have them separated at the moment to keep her safe.
    Does anyone have any idea why the one of the males would be acting so aggressive towards one of the girls at this age? and this far outside of breeding season?

2. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

@barkerg , can tell us more about the behavior of Spaulding and Green birds. He knows stuff. [​IMG]

3. hhn2002

hhn2002 Just Hatched

Dec 31, 2016
    My 2016 hatch india blue cock was practicing mounting too but not aggressive. Its just that green blood in him.

4. barkerg

barkerg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2015
    Salado, Texas
    Greens are more aggresive indeed and usually giving more room or places to hide will usually do the trick. They are still young yet and im betting that what little hormones they are producing now is like adrenaline and they should settle down eventually.

Gerald Barker

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  5. Widlast

Widlast Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2016
    Maryland USA
    Thanks for the reply. For the last two days we have separated the hen from the rest for part of the day and that has seemed to do the trick.
    I'll add a few more hidey holes in the pen and hopefully that will solve al of this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by