7 month old Porcelain D'uccle Bantam and still NO egg. Why?

jimmywalt

Crowing
11 Years
Mar 24, 2013
I have a 7 month old Porcelain D'uccle Bantam and she has never laid an egg. Any idea why that would be?

I sure don't think that "she" is a "he"........ Doesn't act, sound, our look like it I don't think. So why no egg???

Yes, she's a pullet. D'uccles are not the greatest layers, so it may be a while before she starts laying. They aren't bred for laying, unlike many large fowl chicken breeds. Judging by her comb size, I don't think that she'll be laying for at least another month. One reason why she may not be laying is that daylight hours are decreasing (at least in the United States-- I'm not sure where you are). Coupled with the fact that D'Uccles don't lay very well, insufficient daylight hours could make her not lay. Has anything stressful ocurred lately? Predator attacks, etc can make birds not lay because of stress.

I have Porcelain Booted Bantam pullet of the same age and she too, has not laid an egg yet. I have noticed her comb and wattles increasing in size and becoming redder, so hopefully soon I'll get a little egg!

Last edited:
Yes, she's a pullet. D'uccles are not the greatest layers, so it may be a while before she starts laying. They aren't bred for laying, unlike many large fowl chicken breeds. Judging by her comb size, I don't think that she'll be laying for at least another month. One reason why she may not be laying is that daylight hours are decreasing (at least in the United States-- I'm not sure where you are). Coupled with the fact that D'Uccles don't lay very well, insufficient daylight hours could make her not lay. Has anything stressful ocurred lately? Predator attacks, etc can make birds not lay because of stress.

Thanks for the reply. We are in Michigan and it's getting darker earlier. We live in a very nice quiet subdivision... so nothing stressful here!

So what are D'uccles bred for?

Thanks for the reply. We are in Michigan and it's getting darker earlier. We live in a very nice quiet subdivision... so nothing stressful here!

So what are D'uccles bred for?
They are mainly ornamental (kept for their beauty and to show).

They are mainly ornamental (kept for their beauty and to show).

Thank you for that info. I thought she was small and cute at the store as a 1 week old chick back in March. I didn't know that she wasn't also an egg layer........ Oh well........ She doesn't like to be handled and is the hardest one of my 5 chickens to hold. Hopefully she will give me an egg from time to time.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom