7 month old pullet adopted my peeps

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 5acresandadream, Nov 10, 2016.

1. 5acresandadream

5acresandadream Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2016
    North Eastern USA
    My 7 month old buff mix has taken it upon herself to care for the silkie/Leghorn peeps I recently added to my coop. They are 6 weeks old, its literally adorable. It was so heartwarming to see. She hasn't layed any eggs yet, but she's all broody to these new peeps. Could that be a sign that she will start laying soon?I checked her pelvic bones and they have widened considerably this past week.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    That is adorable, she probably is feeling maternal due to increasing hormones. She probably will go broody a lot too.

3. 5acresandadream

5acresandadream Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2016
    North Eastern USA
    It was so cute! I had heard that some chickens will do thay, but ive never seen it beofre. The peeps are loving the attention, since they were hatched from my incubator and never had a momma. She is a keeper for sure, I look forward to her hatching out peeps for me instead of the pain in the butt incubator I have lol

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Good broodies are always way better than incubators. I use my bantam to hatch all my eggs. It makes life easier.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by