1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

7 month old pullets molting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickiegrrl, Dec 31, 2013.

1. chickiegrrl

chickiegrrl Chirping

May 20, 2013
    Monticello, MN
    I have 4 pullets. They were hatched 5/7/13. I've noticed over the past couple of days that two of the girls are losing a lot of feathers. My RIR is blowing them when I pick her up. Then I noticed that the BO is as well. It's really cold here in MN, we have been close to -20F for several nights and today we didn't even reach 0F for a high temp. Could they be molting because of the stress of being so cold? We also haven't had any eggs for the past 4 days. I thought 7 months was a bit too young to be molting. I really wish they would have waited until it warms up a bit, which is not looking too hopeful in the near future. Is there anything more that I should do for them during the molt?

I'm feeding them some BOSS/scratch/mealworms in the morning and before bed, just a handful or two of the mix. Otherwise they get layer crumbles mixed with game bird feed, for a bit higher protein this winter. I also give them some greens or an apple during the day to pick on. Sometimes I scramble an egg or two for them. They get vitamin/electrolyte/probiotics in their water.

2. Makomd

Makomd Songster

Jul 24, 2011
    ES of MD , USA
    Sounds like you are giving them the added protein they will need for a molt. Make sure they have enough room on the perch to huddle and keep each other warm. I would say you are doing everything they need to get the molt over with.

3. trevchar

trevchar In the Brooder

Feb 20, 2014
    My 7 month old pullets have just stopped laying and started shedding feathers as well...it is autumn here now - typical moulting time I believe?? how long do they stay off laying??? I was just getting excited about collecting eggs for incubation and my girls stopped laying lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by